Choosing a B&W Film Developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Double Negative, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi, gang! I wrote an article a short while back and thought I'd share with everyone here. It's still a bit of a work in progress (so if you have suggestions, etc. feel free).

Choosing a B&W Film Developer

That article is actually the first in a series. The second, and more recent article from this past weekend deals with filters:

Using Filters in B&W Photography

Enjoy! Looking forward to any feedback y'all might have as well. :smile:

2. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I take it by the deafening silence... That my articles must be perfect. :tongue:

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is still made in the same old Agfa factory as before, only the name on the packaging is different depending on who is distributing it.

Ian

4. segedi

segedi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Canada Rodinal is pronounced Blazinal :smile:

5. Juri

Juri Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Or long?
    I read them and learned a lot as a beginner. It encouraged me to get a set of colour filters. Thanks!

6. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    True, true. Maybe I'll add a blurb making that a bit more clear. Thanks!

7. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I tried to keep them reasonable in length without getting overly detailed, yet provide enough to make it useful. Glad your learned from them - that makes it all worthwhile! :smile:

You'll love the filters. Personally, I'm a fan of pushing Tri-X and using a deep red. Heh.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My suggestions:

You used the term "soup" in very last part of the page and only once. If someone wasn't already familiar with the term, he/she will be left wondering what it means. My suggestion would be to either define it earlier or leave it out.

I like XTOL but also recognize, "quality" doesn't always mean finest grain and whatever the characteristics a particular developer provides. It may be more appropriate to remove the word "quality" and list the characteristics.

Kodak recommends NOT using development time shorter than 5 minutes. You mentioned the danger of shorter dev time without defining what "short" actually means. It may be beneficial to site 5 minutes (the figure that appears on every Kodak tech notes) in your document.

9. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the one about filters. For now I am only using a Yellow filter, time to explore others I guess.

10. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's a link for film developer and film combinations.

http://filmdev.org/

It's bewildering.

11. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It's funny you pointed out the "soup" reference, and I actually though that when I wrote it. You're totally right about that and I'll change it to "develop."

Good point about "quality." What one person considers an admirable trait might not apply to someone else.

Also a good point about development times. I did start to get into controlling development times without really explaining why you would do that.

I sincerely appreciate the feedback, thank you! I'll make some modifications to the article reflecting your suggestions.

12. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've updated the "...Developer" article according to the great feedback here. Thanks again, everyone. :smile:

13. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good, i am looking to have my own reference based on my experience with film according to all what i have read and did, and your article is inspiring and reminding me to this idea, good you people have time to experiment and write articles or books, here we don't have time to shoot even, hehehehe.

What is Syrup? hahahaha :D (I am arabic guy, so many arabs will not understand what is syrup in dev is meaning].

14. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Tareq, hello! I see you've followed me to another forum (first PotN, then GetDPI, now APUG). LOL. :smile:

Syrup - "a thick, viscous fluid"

15. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't follow anybody but it is that i am very famous that you can find many on any forum, be sure don't register on another forums i am a member there :wink: :laugh:

Syrup is a liquid medicine, but i can understand what is meaning in developing :cool:

16. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In American English (I don't know about British English), a word syrup refers to any thick fluid. The stuff we pour on ice cream, stuff we mix to make drinks, and of course medicine, are all called syrup.

17. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, i know what it is from the translation to arabic, in all cases i know what is the meaning of any word when used in phrases/sentences, if the word used alone then GOD knows what it is meaning.

18. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maple syrup, Rodinal syrup - both yummy, but don't mix 'em up. :tongue:

19. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the past when i saw that Rodinal bottle i thought it is a medicine, GOD saved me that i wasn't sick that time to order Rodinal to drink it.

20. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You might have developed a medical condition.

21. agfarapid

agfarapid Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great job! Haven't finished reading it yet but it looks to be a good primer for the beginner or advanced photographer.

22. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the filtration page, it refers to Green and Yellow filters making pleasing skin tones for men and women respectively. Perhaps that is white-skin-centric without stating it as such?

23. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you! :smile:

Hmm, yes I suppose you're right! Good point. Perhaps a bit of "old wisdom" in need of updating or maybe I should just make that more clear?