Choosing color film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Joshua_G, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Joshua_G

Joshua_G Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Within few weeks I'll have a trip to India for 10 days. I'd like to choose some color films (in addition to B&W ones). I'd like to have both medium speed (ISO 100 – 200) and high speed (ISO 400 – 800, may be 1,600).

First, would you recommend slides, or negatives, or both? Please mention the reasons.

Second – which films? Please mention the reasons.

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd probably take Velvia 100F and a small tripod for low light situations.

I usually don't take color & B&W on the same trip 'cause I find it hard to think both in color & B&W at the same time.

Use my opinion for what it's worth. More importantly, have fun.

3. sjperry

sjperry Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What format(s) cameras are you using?

4. Joshua_G

Joshua_G Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    35 mm

5. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Joshua,

The brand names sell quality products. If I were to bring 800 speed film I would opt for the "pro" versions as they seem to just look better to my eye. Shoot slides if you plan on projecting them. Shoot negative film if you plan on prints. The latter has the added advantage of both larger exposure latitude and the same sort of response as your b&w film.

Neal Wydra

6. Joshua_G

Joshua_G Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you, Neal and everyone.
    What's the preference for printing from scans?

7. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is an interesting question as one of the stated reasons why Kodak brought out the "new" Porta was because it provides better scans. Fuji recently also brought out a new "scanner-friendly" film line. I don't know the name of it - perhaps someone else here does?

"Scannability" (or at least, "better scanability") seems to be one line of film R&D that remains active.

Again, others here will know a lot more about that than I do.

8. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  9. Joshua_G

Joshua_G Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you.
    Those films are unavailable in country (Israel).

10. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm

Haven't found them here in the US either. I wonder if anyone has tried these Rollei "scanner-friendly" color neg films? I suppose one could order them from the UK to try them - but it'd be nice to have a "user review" first.

11. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd use these for neg...
    Fuji 160s for daytime, Kodack 160NC for night

Fuji NPZ (thats the name think) 800 for hand held lowlight.

For Chromes its a personal choice and if you are not used to shooting with the film some (like Velvia, 100vs) can make you insane. Astia, e200, any of the other kodak 100's are less tempermental. Provia 100 and 400 can be wonderful and would fall between the velvia and 100vs and the other films for most forgiving or easiest to use when not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  12. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Joshua,

"What's the preference for printing from scans?"

A good scan of either would give you a good print. My little film scanner Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III) seems to like the density range of negatives more than slides, but it really isn't a great scanner. Don't forget the print set you get back from a roll of negatives is nice for an album.

Neal Wydra

13. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Rollei ScanFilm

Freestyle has it in 35mm and 120 sizes. I've never tried it, though, so I can't comment on what it's like.

14. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I did a search on the forums and apparently Roger Hicks has tried out the rollei scanfilm stuff. Maybe another 1-2 people have mentioned they tried it I think. It's not too hideously expensive so I might give a roll a go sometime once I get set up for c-41 processing at home.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  15. Silverhead

Silverhead Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Rollei Scan film is a funny bird...it has a clear base that is supposedly better for scanning than traditional color negatives with the brown tinge. The thing is, scanning software already compensates for that brown tinge just fine for the most part, so it kind of renders that notion a bit moot. The image itself has a very retro look, very 1960's-era color...nothing like the current Porta (Kodak) and Pro (Fuji) lines.

16. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    i use velivia 100F and love it. i owuld say bring a C41 film a bit faster so you can hand hold in less light. you have the velvia for your tripood stuff. a bit of 160, 400 and 800 is what i would bring. the 800 is really useful for low light markets. it is fast becoming one of my favorite and most used C41 film. if you do not want to bring all those films you could leave out the 400 and use the 800 or leave out the 160 and use the velvia. i always bring LOTS of film when i travel. you can always bring it home, but your favorite films are always hard to find in 3rd world countries.

eddie

17. Thanasis

Thanasis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Even though it isn't a pro negative film, Fuji Superia 100 is still a fine colour print film. I believe that it is also available in 200 and 400 ASA also.