Christmas gift brings me to the MF forum

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by hammy, Dec 25, 2006.

1. hammy

hammy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Got a brilliant gift from my grandmother.

It's a Hasselblad 500 C that she found in a camera shop. It looks to be in relatively great condition.

This is my first MF camera. I'm used to 35mm only.

Can anyone tell me anything about this camera, and Medium format in general?

Does anyone have a link to an instruction manual or something similar on the net for this camera? All these controls controls are new to me.

Also, what are my lens options with this camera? How wide can I go? :smile:

I'm excited.

2. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Hammy, the world is your oyster now. . . you have an instrument that can extend your vision and illuminate the World. Use it, and use it often.

3. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, this is wonderful! I bought a 500C from my Christmas gratification this year and LOVE it. :smile: Congratulations!

Antje

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Hammy, beats the hell out of socks and aftershave.

6. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice present. I bought a 6x6 Bronica in January 2004, and have found the square format to really work for me over the three years I've used the camera.

Tom.

7. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    what a great gift. Is your grandmother perchance looking to adopt new grandsons???

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Jammy bugger! It's gorgeous. Widest = 40mm (the 38/4.5 is permanently mounted on a non-reflex body). The 40mm is roughly equivalent to 21mm on 35mm but of course the square format versus rectangular means they cannot be compared directly.

Hasselblads are infinitely reparable and a delight to use. The only reason I sold my 500C 20+ years ago was that in those days, we didn't do our own scans and you COULD NOT trust art directors/scanner operators to crop sensibly, even after they'd signed the marked-up Polaroid.

Now I'm semi-retired I keep thinking of buying another...

Cheers,

R.

9. Mark H (Iowa)

Mark H (Iowa) Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. photogolf

photogolf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats....I don't have a Hassy but I have two M645s and an RB 67. I love these ned format cameras!

11. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Read and reread the instructions regarding having the camera and lens cocked before removing the lens. There is a chance of the lens jamming onto the body if you don't do this. Also, when you load film, it loads inside out (black side of leader faces out), and the leader goes under the little metal rail at the top of the film insert. Other than those quirks, the Hass will pretty much take care of you. You will feel foolish the first dozen times you try to shoot and nothing happens (the darkslide must be removed before the shutter will fire). But the camera will train you in no time. Enjoy!

12. THardy

THardy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get the manual, read the section on loading film. After a couple of rolls you'll be fine. Also watch out for cocking the camera before mounting / removing the lens.

13. Karl K

Karl K Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Enjoy what is probably the most versatile MF system ever conceived. The 500Series can do anything you ask of it. The system is complete. Just go slowly. It's not a 35mm camera. The Hassy requires more thought and care before you press the shutter. But wait until you view those glorious negs! My lens selection is 50, 80, 150. Some photographers prefer 40, 60, 120. The 100mm and the 250mm are also great. My advice is do not remove the magazine from the body just to load film. It is unecessary and puts additional wear and tear on both the back and the body. If you have only one film back, take the dark slide out so you won't hit the film back latch by mistake when your real intention was to lift up the WL finder.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Once you see the enlargements from it you won't want to use 35mm again.

16. hammy

hammy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies.

Thank you for the manual links.

Thanks for the tips.

It really just feels so much sturdier and nicer than my 35mm's.

What about flash sync on this camera?

17. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Synchs at all speeds, 1 sec to 1/500. Synch connection is on the lenses. Where do you live? I might have to sell my 50C due to a broken truck.

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    On the lens, at all speeds, though a VERY FEW big studio electronic flash units may have a long enough flash duration to 'clip' if the shutter is actually runnibg at 1/500 (1/300 is likelier and this is the longest flash duration I have seen quoted.

On the body also, with the rear light-trap 'trapdoors' so you can put a shutterless lens on a bellows and still shoot flash. This feature was dropped on later Hasselblads.

Cheers,

R.

19. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Getting into this for the first time, make sure you have a good read of the manual. Pay particular attention to the film loading and the camera's interlocks that prevent it from firing when something is done improperly. Load the film with the black side of the paper facing the shutter :wink:

Hassy has one so-called weakness that you'll see called the "Hassy Jam". Never mount an uncocked lens and you'll be fine.

The 40mm Distagon is close to a 24mm in 135 format. I think you'll find the square format makes it seem wider though compared to the long, skinny 3:2 ratio of 135. I love square format personally.

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

21. hammy

hammy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow! Lenses are expensive for this baby.

I think I'll stick with the 80mm.

22. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings Ham: Congrats aside for the moment, there are at least a few significant points to mention about the 500C that will prevent you from causing extensive damage to the body and/or lens or back.
    At the risk of being redundant or telling you something you already know, if you don't, please drop me an e-mail and I'll be glad to let you know what those points are. And now....congrats from me too. ;>)
    Mark@feldstein-photo.net

23. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Incidentally, I've been quite able to get along with my 50/4 Distagon on my Rolleiflex SLR even though its said to be about 28mm equivalent. The widest I regularly use in 135 format is the 24/2.8 on my Nikons and I don't really feel constrained in 120 format with only a 50mm lens on the wide end. This is what spawned my comment that Roger very nicely elaborated on.

As for the prices - well the Zeiss glass don't come cheap! I think you will find you can get deals on the older optics if you can live without T* coating. I have not been disappointed with my 50-80-150-250 set for my Rolleiflex. The optics are the same as the Hasselblads of the same era. A 40mm would be nice but its a lot of money.

24. Jim Charles

Jim Charles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keh. Bargain.

25. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Hammy,

Don't be too put off by those who warn of the danger of damaging/writing off your Hasselblad through inadvertent misuse. They really aren't that fragile of complicated. I don't think I've ever read an instruction book for one, even when I first had to use them professionally some 30+ years ago without any prior instruction. As long as you know about having both body and lens cocked when you change lenses, there's not much else to worry about.

Cheers,

R

26. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly does, but then you can rewrap the socks and after shave and give them away as Christmas presents next year and save a few quid.:D :wink: