Chromega B not working

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by tzillman, Mar 30, 2010.

1. tzillman

tzillman Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I was recently given a van load of darkroom equipment, so I'm back on the home darkroom wagon (I sold off my darkroom equipment several years ago). One of the items is an enlarger with a Chromega B head. It didn't work when I initially plugged it in and still doesn't work after I replaced the bulb. I suspect that it is the power supply that is the problem. I've read somewhere that the power supply should hum softly and it doesn't. Plus I understand that the power supply is the weak point on these enlargers. Does that sound reasonable? Is this something that is repairable at a price that is less than the value of the enlarger? If not, its probably no big deal as I do not plan to work in color and there is also an Omega D2 with an operating cold head that should handle all my enlarging needs (and an Empire 8 X 10 that is just huge). I'm trying to decide if I should repair it, just give it to the garbage collector or try to offer it to someone for parts. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

2. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. tzillman

tzillman Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Paulie,

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you familiar with this enlarger? I've gone so far as to remove the cover from the power supply and from the bulb housing and I don't see a fuse. I hope that someone could point me to it if I'm just being an idiot.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Omega stopped making that power supply and used an internal one on the later small dichroic heads. You could add the internal power supply to your current head or just put it in the external box. The updated power supply consists of a power resistor and a big rectifier, instead of a transformer. After the conversion use the 85W ESJ bulb.

Here is the info:

http://www.blogintrigue.com/?p=21

5. tzillman

tzillman Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks ic-racer! It sounds like it can be repaired at a reasonable cost.

6. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Chromega B is a very nice easy to use comfortable enlarger to use.

I would definitely suggest seeking another power supply on ebay or something or converting it as described.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Chromega B power supply just went unsold ($7 starting bid) on fleabay. May still be available cheap.