churches

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by LadyMary, Jun 27, 2010.

1. LadyMary

LadyMary Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are some beautiful churches in Winnipeg (my home town) and I was wondering if anyone has any special advice or angles that I can use when taking a church's picture. Mostly, because they are big, I am taking bits and pieces of these buildings...which is okay also, but I would love to take the complete shot and make it WOW...

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bits and pieces are fine.

There is no "trick" or special angle. Photographing a church is no different than photographing anything else. I have a few in my gallery, all different approaches, but that is by no means comprehensive (even for me). Just go and shoot and see what appeals to you.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browse...id=&orderby=title&direction=ASC&cutoffdate=-1

Maybe a wide angle lens? :wink:

3. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    What sort of camera do you use? Can you control perspective as with a view camera?

This is a very popular subject. Many have gone before you. Are you comfortable with that? If so you might want to look at the work of successful artist's before. Google Frederick Evans, considered by many the master.
    www.texaschurchproj.com
    “Post Your Churches” http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41487&highlight=Churches

If not comfortable with that you might want to think about an aspect that might be more unique to you. For example I did a twenty image 8x10 negative/16x20 print series this year of “Churches in transition;” an 1860 church now used as a winery showing the grape vines and the building, Faith Gym a church converted to a workout facility where they use the good book, an old established downtown stone church hit by lightning-destroyed-a stone doorway with building stones pouring out the doorframe.

John Powers

4. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Get up high for a shot like this one [​IMG]

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... or go down low for a shot like this one:

Attached Files:

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't ignore the potential of colour and interiors - stained glass windows and older stone, brick, wood and decorations can have very interesting colour.

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent!

BTW, how do you display a photo that larger on this forum, mine are always small postage stamp size that can be "clicked" to make them larger?

Curt

8. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Each one has a cross to bare I guess.

9. LadyMary

LadyMary Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    omg

that is an amazing picture...there is wow there!

beautiful...

I use 35mm, digital and have been learning how to use Rollei 2.8E. I have a roll of 120 bw film waiting ever so patiently waiting for me to develop...It's a series of outside pictures of an Orthodox Catholic church...I'll get this done, scan the negs and share...

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curt:

In order to get the nice big within-post images, they need to be hosted somewhere else on the internet. You then need to link to that off-site image.

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does that mean having a web site? I feel a little behind the times now if that's the case. I should have gotten more involved with this years ago.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curt:

You can use a photo sharing site like flickr. I'll try linking to a photo I have posted to flickr:

[​IMG]

I guess that worked :smile:

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt, that's a doable solution, I never thought of it, I do have a flicker page so I'll have to try it out. Thanks,
    Curt

14. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice photograph, I see a man watching a fish in an aquarium there on the tank in the painted graphic area. It's an interesting scene, I could spend some time there photographing, where was it?

Curt

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Or you can link to the address of an image in your APUG gallery. Just testing to see if it works....

[​IMG]

.... which it does!

Steve.

16. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Churches...yes, thats where this started... ;-) Think about your windows. Morning and afternoon, more light will be coming through the windows, thats great if thats what you want, but wait until noon, when the sun is overhead, and the window will be much darker in comparison to earlier in the morning. You will be able to get a better ballance overall shot of the interior of a church if you are to include windows.

Dont forget to bring your tripod, cable release and external flash. You can always stop down, leave the shutter open and and pop areas that need highlighting with your external flash. I like to take a polaroid if possible to check and see how much light im painting onto the room, and then go for the real deal.

Hope you have good results.

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curt:

The image is of a large water cistern, located in Watershed Park, in Delta, BC - about 20 minutes from where I live.

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve (and others):

Can non-subscribers see this image, or is viewing limited to those who are subscribers?

Sorry about side-tracking the thread!