Cibachrome possibilities with fading transparencies

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Marco Buonocore, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Marco Buonocore

Marco Buonocore Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd like to make prints from some of my father's transparencies. They were taken in the 50's and 60's around the Amalfi Coast in Italy. They've started to fade a fair bit, and I was wondering if there was any hope of having cibachromes made from these?

From what I gather, cibachromes are quite contrasty to begin with - would a faded tranny gain some punch in this situation?

My last resort, of course, would be to scan them on the Imacon, but I'd really rather not go that route unless there's no other options.

Thanks for your help!

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I would suggest you scan them and work on them to your satisfaction.
    Then make a lambda cibachrome (boy I didn,t say the D word). We can do it , I believe Lamount Imaging in New York , can do it and others in Europe

3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, of course there are other options. Why not just try printing a few and see how it works- have a Ciba lab try it for you if you arent set up for it?

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One issue with aging slides is that they don't fade evenly and tend to show color casts that may require variable corrections in shadows and highlights. This kind of repair can be done with film by making B&W color separations and masking each layer, but it's a lot easier to do with the method Bob Carnie suggests and printing out to Ilfochrome or Fuji Crystal Archive.

5. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    However, last time it was available under the name "Ilfochrome Classic", cibachrome came in three different contrast grades from which one could choose from.