cibachrome vs. fujiflex

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by allsystemsfail, Mar 9, 2011.

1. allsystemsfail

allsystemsfail Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Anyone know if fujiflex will be as stable as cibachromes over time?

2. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. Someone will be along to explain better than I can, but a major part of the image stability of Ilfochrome/Cibachrome comes from both the high-purity Azo dyes embedded in the paper as well as the dye-destruction based P-5 process.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ilfochrome/Cibachrome is not coated on paper. It is a white Melinex (DuPont's trade name for poyester).

EDIT: Apparently there is a resin coated paper version too: http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/userfiles/file/ilfochrome.pdf

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
  4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, Ilfo/Cibachrome is in a class by itself.

Dye-destruction, silver-dye-bleach processes are fundamentally different than color-coupler, chromogenic prints.

That's not to say that the latter's stability will be bad, but the former's stability is fantastic.

5. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know it's not coated on paper, but "paper" is the common term for photographic printing material. Besides, the OP was comparing two polyester-base printing materials, so I assume he would know what I was referring to.