Cincinnati photographers 1840-1850?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by sionnac, Feb 1, 2006.

1. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am researching an early salt print which may have come from Cincinnati. Does anyone know of a reference that lists photographers of this era by region/city? I have looked through the Daguerreian Society's online annuals index, and didn't find any Cincinnati articles; the Photographic Resource Center at Boston University, near me, has a list of Massachusetts photographers from that era, but I'm still looking for any Cincinnati leads. Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try calling the main city library in Cincinnati. They should be able to help.

3. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You should have good luck with the Main Library, but also try the historical society. They have a large building down by the river and have extensive info on local people. This area was very active at that time and you should run into a large number of photographers.

- Randy

http://library.cincymuseum.org/

4. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bill and Randy - I've contacted both after your suggestions.

5. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    If those don’t work out for you try http://eastmanhouse.org/inc/collections/library.php .
    It appears that they have The Daguerreian Journal, six reels 1850-1870. If they have search capabilities they might find an article about a Cinci photographer in the prior decade.

John Powers