Cirkut cameras

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Pupfish, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Are intriguing me today. What little I know of them, is that they were made in film width various sizes. Wondering if some of these matched WWII and later era aerial photography roll film sizes.
    Are there any current film stocks available, of any size? (If not, anybody tried shooting Cibachrome in them?)

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have a #10 and a #6. Got those sizes because, yes, the aerial recon film is usable in them. There's a page on my website with a #10 shot we did in downtown Tonopah stopping traffic on Hwy 95.

Never used the #6, in fact it's in pieces. Just part of the back attachment thingy. I need to get it finished up and advertise it. They are a lot of fun. And a lot of work.

4. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @jimgalli
    Thanks for the useful info and you sure do great work.

5. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just reading an article about the late photographer John Yang in B&W Magazine. He used a No. 10 Cirkut for some projects. They showed a couple images and mentioned that they were 74x10 in contact prints. I was thinking about the setup needed to do that. And the enormous amount of work required. I can't imagine trying to keep that negative and glass clean. If you work with these cameras you really have to want to do it.

6. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    OTOH the dust and scratches are so small on contact prints as to be relatively insignificant-- especially compared to enlargements that big from small negs at long exposure times (where dust can settle on the neg during exposure).