Cirkut No. 5 Questions

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by rossn4, Mar 22, 2017.

1. rossn4

rossn4 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi, I have been trying to get a Cirkut No. 5 to run and was wondering it is just a matter of rotating the on/off knob or whether some other interlock must be engaged to make the gear drive start. Right now I can wind it and I feel tension in the spring and when I screw a gear on it I can move it slightly back and forth and it does seem to engage and slightly move the other exposed shafts on the bottom which I can see slightly move but when I rotate the on/off knob nothing happens. Does anyone have an instruction manual on this camera which might give insight if I am doing anything wrong. Does the camera have to be mounted on the tripod head to work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ross

2. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like something is broken. I assume you have the front standard open when trying I might have a instruction manual. I'll look

3. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do have a manual. I'll scan when I can. Might be a day or two. I have a #5 camera and have used it as well, FYI. Email me directly if you want help. jamie@jamieyoungphoto.com

4. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds like the motor is just stuck. Maybe the brake, which is pulled out of the way when you rotate the knob, is not releasing fully. Or maybe it's just gummed up with too much old oil, or not enough oil, or...?

Assuming the 5 is like the 10, is there a cover you can remove somewhere to expose the weighted governor assembly? Trying to turn that by hand will either verify the stuck-brake theory, or perhaps free things up if they're stuck.

Duncan

5. c.d.ewen

c.d.ewen Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Kicking the governor's balls is a good idea, but I don't recall whether the thing turns clockwise or counterclockwise. I've tried that on a gummed up No 10 on a cold day, and still couldn't get it to start. Warmth and a cleaning was what was needed.

Charley

6. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, if the gumming-up (or cold-related slowdown) or stuck-brake is too severe, this will not work to actually get it running. But it could point towards a solution, if you can get it to at least move at all. If you spin the governor a few spins around you should start to see perceptible motion in the takeup drum. That will let you know if you're spinning it the correct direction. And for anyone planning to take apart the motor for cleaning, this is actually a critical step (unwinding the motor by spinning the governor around by hand, no matter how long and slow the process is) because popping a wound spring canister off of the motor is not going to lead to good results - ask me how I know.

Duncan

7. OP
    rossn4

rossn4 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you all for the help. I did follow the suggestions to expose the governor and tapping one of the balls caused it to start spinning away. I would be interested in seeing the instructions if you are able to get them online.
    Ross

8. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Graflex Historical Quarterly, Third Quarter 2009 has a history by the late Bill McBride that includes the #5 Cirkut: https://www.graflex.org/GHQ/

I also have a two page article Bill did on "Servicing the No. 5 Cirkut Camera". If you PM me your email address I can send you the PDF.

Len

9. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill's article is worth looking at. Can't remember the exact detail but removing the motor plate isn't completely straight forward.
    Len I'm not sure whether I have that. Could I get a pdf as well jamie@jamieyoungphoto.com
    Thanks!

10. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    ...and of course I'd love to post a copy to my site, if it's OK with the original author or source!

Duncan

11. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Duncan,
    I just emailed you Bill's #5 Servicing article. I'm uncertain about whether you should put it up on your site or not. I think the copy I have scanned is one Bill gave me years ago. However I believe the same article was printed in the International Association of Panoramic Photographers magazine and they may feel they have a copyright claim. Bill passed away several years ago and I have no idea about contacting any of his family. Ron Klein in Alaska knew Bill a lot better than I ever did so he might have an idea on anyone to contact for permisssion. You can contact Ron through his website.

Len