Citric acid for kallitypes

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Johnindc, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Johnindc

Johnindc Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My kallitypes clear in fresh sodium citrate to which I have added a small amount of oxalic acid. If I put the developed print in 2% citric acid (20gms/L) to insure complete clearing the image fades after a minute and is irreversibly bleached after 3 minutes and will not recover in toner and hype. I checked my cirtic acid solution and it has a ph of 1 which must account for the extensive bleaching. Im I doing something wrong? Prints are made on Lenox 100 paper, but I have had similar results with other papers.

2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use 3% citric acid bath for clearing step with no problems. Try skipping the sodium citrate/oxalic acid step.

3. Anupam Basu

Anupam Basu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only digital images recover with hype :D:D.

Sorry, John. Let's return to the problem.

4. Johnindc

Johnindc Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Doug,

The sodium citrate/oxalic acid is the developer.

5. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Doug wrote , you may try to use a sodium sitrate developer , without any oxalic acid in it. If you want an acid developer you may add citric acid in it. I use potassium citrate developer and I have no problem with a clearing bath in citric acid. I followed with a palldium toner made with citric acid.

6. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For developer (whether Sodium Citrate or Ammonium Citrate & Sodium Acetate) I only use about 3 grams per liter of Tartaric Acid (also Potassium Dichromate depending on neg contrast). Oxalic Acid I suspect has other properties other than as a preservative (ie, see Darkroom Cookbook, 3rd edition).

7. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another thing to try is using hypo clear as a clearing agent. I've used PermaWash with good results.

8. Johnindc

Johnindc Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Actually, I don't have a problem clearing my prints with developer alone. My real question relates to the bleaching of my prints in 2% citric acid which is the recommended concentration.

9. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't understand why you would want to clear and develop at the same time? I have very consistant results with a straight sodium citrate developer, and then clear in 3% citric acid for 1 minute. If you say you are able to clear your prints in the developer, then maybe the extra time in 2% citric acid bath is not necessary. Just rinse well, fix and then put through HCA followed by a thorough washing.

10. philsweeney

philsweeney Member

I have always been lucky using 20% sodium citrate as developer (nothing else added) and then using 3% citric acid for clearing. Actually the prints are clear leaving the developer after 8 minutes but I still run them for 3 minutes in citric acid. They do bleach some but the toning brings it back. I still always follow Sandy King's article to the letter and still do the washes in between. My city water must like Kallitypes, and if only I would have been as lucky with paper.