CLA'ing a Bessa I

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Henry Yorke, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hello all,

I just bought a Bessa I and am wondering if anyone know of a good place in Canada to have older folding cameras like this CLA'd.

Thanks.

Henry

2. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    If sending stuff across the border weren't such a hassle, I'd post the camera to Jurgen. However, I'm trying to find someone here in Canada, if possible.

Henry

4. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say Good Luck because Canada really isn't the acme of technical expertise. In Montreal the one place I go for my repairs is AFC Camera (514) 397-9505. They have very competent technicians, but their expertise on folders might not be as thourough as Jurgen's.

5. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where are you located? This is a big country you know :smile:

I really have to disagree with the previous post. There are some superb camera service shops in this country, e.g. Kindermann.

6. Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I'm in Calgary, but I don't have a problem sending elsewhere in Canada if someplace or someone has folder experience.

7. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess their publicity might be lacking because what I have found in Montreal is a rather empy landscape.

8. Mike Kovacs

Mike Kovacs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Southern Ontario rivalry kicking-in - I have to agree :wink: In any case, I service my own cameras so the best place is home.

Henry: I haven't worked on a Bessa I before but I could service that camera for you if you're interested. Its not a complex camera by any stretch of the imagination. I have worked on other Voigt folders like Vito II, Perkeo II, various Agfa folders, and many Zeiss folders incl the Super Ikontas. Folders are pretty straightforward - the Rolleiflexes, Contax RFs etc are a lot more complex.

PM me if interested (I'm in London Ontario). I'd like to know what is going wrong with it - new bellows (if required) are generally expensive but I can get them for much cheaper than Juergen K's. Simple shutter and lens service is straightforward and fast. What is normally unfixable is if you have a misaligned lens standard from an impact.

If you click the link HERE, Hagar is a "travelling" 6x9 Agfa folder I brought back to life and is currently on a worldwide trip. If you like the quality coming out of even a cheap 6x9 with a triplet lens and 4 speed shutter, you'll be very pleased with a properly functioning Bessa for sure!