Clarence John Laughlin: An Artist with a Camera - PBS

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by toro_mike, Mar 8, 2012.

1. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Worthwhile program about an artist I was not really familiar with. It's running on PBS, so catch it if you can. It may be online somewhere, I don't know :blink:

http://beta.lpb.org/index.php/pledge/pledge_item/clarence_john_laughlin_an_artist_with_a_camera

What I couldn't figure out is how he was able to read so many books and work the long hours he worked at his photography (he reportedly sold a total of about 50,000 books). I guess he read on all of those train trips and/or he never slept!

2. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting. His name comes up quite frequently when I search for stuff I've posted via Google.

-J (also John Laughlin - but minus the Clarence part)

3. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have to watch for this one. My only exposure (sorry, folks, bad pun) to Laughlin's work is a monograph of his I picked up some 30-odd years ago on my first trip to New Orleans - Ghosts Along the Mississippi. An interesting take on the plantation architecture/culture of the lower Mississippi region, the work is by turns lyrical, poignant and wistful; as well it is as a masterful work of architectural photography. Hmm...maybe when I finish unpacking my library I should spend some time with this book...maybe get some additional ideas for my August trip... :munch: