Classic Museum/Developers

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Annie, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Member

I am just wondering what developers will secure the most neutral tone with the Classic Museum Chlorobromide (J&C compares this paper to the Bergger Prestige CB Art).

2. PaulH

PaulH Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Annie, I haven't used this paper, yet. But the Bergger VC CB is my favorite enlarging paper. It is my understanding that it is the VC version of the paper in question. If so, it is a gorgeous paper. In Zone VI paper developer, it gives a nice warm tone, similar to Agfa MC Classic but richer. In Michael Smith's Amidol formula, it is quite a bit cooler. Hope this helps.

3. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would also add that the coolness or warmth of a paper developer can be adjusted (within limits) by the addition of Benzatriazole or Potassium Bromide. The Benzatriazole will cool things down and the Potassium Bromide will warm things up.

4. Annie

Annie Member

Thanks for your help..... Annie

5. David Vickery

David Vickery Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    What dnmilikan said. Also, most paper developers tend to "warm up" the image as they age. So if you wanted to warm up a neutral or cold print you could use aged developer. But if you want to keep the image as neutral as possible you should use the freshest developer and a longish dev. time. A short Dev. time will also tend to produce a warmer image because the development has not gone to completion.
    Probably most of the developers still available at the camera stores will produce a good neatral tone if used correctly. If you are mixing your own then what dnmilikan is very important, but the two that are probably best known as neutral-tone developers are Ansco 130 and Dektal

6. mikepry

mikepry Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    As far as the Smith's Amidol formula goes I often add 5 times the Pottasium Bromide(10ml/liter) and what a difference. It yields the most beautiful warm tone.

7. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used this paper quite a bit, and when I need a more neutral tone, Edwal Ultra Black works fine, and for great warm tone try Agfa Neutal WA.

8. fotoimpex

fotoimpex Member

Annie,

I can give you a whole list of developers which we recomend but I am afraid it won´t help because they are not available in the US.
    But since Europeans read in here too I might as well go ahead....
    Our standard is N113 from Calbe which is also very stable and simple to use. I think JandC will include this developer soon because it is a powder dev. and can be shipped easily.
    Best results are achieved with a two dish development in a combination from Tetenal Dokumol and Centrabrom. Whereas you develop first for the lights in Centrabrom and then pull down the blacks in Documol.
    Moersch has also a blue developer out and makes a blue additive (like someone above recomended you).
    The SEPAROL series from Moersch and the VGT developier tool kit allow you to actually control the image tone over all possible shades from brown to blue.

We will stock up some of these specialties soon at JandC.

Regards from Berlin,

Mirko
    www.fotoimpex.de

9. Annie

Annie Member

Mirko,

This is indeed a superb paper and I am pleased to know that there will be additional developers available from J&C.

I have also been stripping the emulsion from the Classic Museum for use in Platinum/Paladium printing with results that I find promising due to the bright white smooth surface and the good wet strength. I have recently send some of the stripped stock to another printer for testing and I am assuming that his evaluation will be positive.

It would be of great value to us if we could obtain some of the uncoated stock of this paper for further testing to evaluate it's true potential for platinum printing. Any assistance or advice you could provide in this matter would be sincerely appreciated. Feel free to PM me off forum.

Regards,

Annie

10. fotoimpex

fotoimpex Member

Annie,

I have bad news for you.
    The factory who makes the photopaper for us has announced last year that they cannot produce on 320g anymore because the base is not made by the papermill anymore.

We have already contacted the paper makers (base paper) and are trying to resolve the issue but they speak in order volumes where even fotoimpex has to stretch the wings.

The last word is not yet spoken but I am afraid that we wil have to go down to 280g from may on.

Let me know if you want to stock up because this is the last week where we can actually place orders for museum weight which get confirmed.

Regards from Berlin,

Mirko

11. Annie

Annie Member

Mirko...... Thank you for the advance warning on the paper change. This is discouraging news indeed, the weight of the paper is certainly part of it's appeal. My silver paper and my potential Platinum paper gone!

It appears that there is no way for me to reserve this paper on J&C's web site. The order form will not accept backorders and the Classic Museum appears to be out of stock...... I would like to order a 100 sheets each of the 12x16 N & H if that is possible... I have no idea of the keeping qualities of the paper so I am reluctant to order large volumes but the 100 sheets of each will see me through my next small project.

Good luck with the paper manufacturer! If they happen to indicate that some of the uncoated 320 paper stock is sitting idle..... Grab it for my Platinum project!!!

Cheers Annie

12. fotoimpex

fotoimpex Member

Annie,

I´ll order it for you in the factory. 100 hard, 100 normal. 40x50 cm

Unfortunately the paper makers never have paper sitting around or in stock.
    That´s the part of the probelm. If they were keeping a stock everybody could buy from it and overall quantites would be reasonable.
    Rather they turn everyone down and always ask for complete factory runs.
    They need eneourmoue quantites and then don´t want to store it.
    A papermill only makes money if it is constantly producing paper day and night. Even offering them more money does not help.
    The base is cheap compared to the price of the coated paper but only if made in hundreds of tonns.

BUT the new base will not be 180 (standard double weight) but 280. So it will still be heavier than most other papers.
    I hope your work can be continued on 280g without too many problems.

Mirko

13. Annie

Annie Member

Mirko.... the Museum comes in 30x40cm (12x16). Thank you for taking the time to assist me, I appreciate it. It is good to know the information about paper production, you have saved me the time & trouble of pursuing an unobtainable outcome with the uncoated stock.

Cheers Annie