Cleaning Green Crud off an Old Camera

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Fotoguy20d, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just got a very nice Ansco Memo in the mail except for one small issue. Around the nameplate and the base of the viewfinder, there's some green crud growing. What's the best way to clean it off without destroying paint or leather?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Copper solvent. You can get it from the local gun shop or sporting goods section of wal-mart. The green crud is corroded copper.

3. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. I'll go looking for it tonight maybe (weather dependant). I always figured it for some sort of organic. Didn't occur to me there would be copper anywhere in a camera but I suppose that makes sense since a lot of these old parts are made of brass which is around 70% copper if I remember right.

Dan

4. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Verdigris

If that makes you feel better than thinking of it as green gunk.

5. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The nameplate is most likely a copper alloy. Those things were photoengraved like halftones for letterpress. Probably the same material.

6. haclil

haclil Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you want to use something a little less strong you might try fresh lemon juice.

Or, for a method that's basically dry, I'd try slightly moistened "magic white foam". That's the kitchen helper that came out some 5 years ago. It looks like a block (or blocks) of fine white foam. But it isn't simple foam. It is mildly abrasive and can remove just about any stain from hard surfaces without leaving scratches.

7. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The best example (or most visible) might be the Statue of Liberty. Rather not think of her as coated in green gunk so verdigris it is. :wink: