Cleaning neg carrier glass

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by vdonovan, Jun 17, 2008.

1. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm using an 8x10 enlarger for the first time. I cleaned the glass negative carrier with Windex and PEC lintless pads but it came out with smears and smudges, even after multiple cleanings.

I'm not sure if this is some old greasy stuff on the glass or some residue from the Windex.

What's the best way to clean glass?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just been cleaning a lot of glass, first I use warm washing powder, the biological variety for clothes, followed by a good rinse in warm water. Final clean is with "Screen wash" used for car windscreens, this always seems to leave no marks, and very clean glass.

Ian

3. Don Dudenbostel

Don Dudenbostel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some things just can't be cleaned that way. I have a Fuji Finescan 5000 with a 13x18 piece of coated optical glass in it. Fuji recommended using a soft cotton cloth that had been laundered many times but dried without fabric softners. They use Zeiss lens cleaner with the cloth and said it's the best cleaner on the market in their opinion. I use this on lenses, scanner and the coated glass in my Durst glass carrier.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most enlarger carrier glass isn't coated, and even coated glass will stand up to a good non abrasive washing. I would normally recommend Nilglas it's a UK trade product used for cleaning glass. It is excellent for cleaning optical glass and removed years of grime safely from a coated Dagor lens I bought 2 or 3 years ago.

Ian

5. VesaL

VesaL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I personally use Isopropyl Alcohol and lint free cloth to clean the negative glass carrier. i cleans good and leaves no "marks"

vesaL

6. keithostertag

keithostertag Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since it is not coated, why not try simple vinegar diluted in distilled water wiped with newspaper or your lintless pads?

7. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought an old Federal enlarger that had not been used for years, the plastic power cord had melted to the enlarger lamp houseing, the glass for negative carrier was very dirty with a thick coating of grim. I soaked the glass overnight in bucket of warm water with couple of drops of dish soap, then just a rinse in distilled water.

8. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, folks. It's very useful to hear your hands-on experiences. I will try some variations on your suggestions. Isn't APUG great?

9. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this sodium carbonate?
    juan

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, washing powder is just granulated soap & additives. I use it every 6 months to clean my dev tanks as well.

Ian

11. blokeman

blokeman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    picture framer's glass cleaner is good, no streaks. microfibre cloths are also good for lint-free work.

12. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format