Cleaning second hand equipment

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by hoffy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This weekend its going to happen. I WILL get the darkroom setup and in progress! (after we have gone to the shops, taken the kids to ballet, done all the house work, mowed the lawns......)

OK, back on topic. I have a whole bunch of second hand trays that I probably should clean before using.

If I were to bleach the gear, should I just use standard household bathroom or even laundry bleach? Does it really matter?

Cheers

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Just hot soapy water, a good scrubbing and a thorough rinse should be sufficient.

3. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use the dishwasher. Not the wife, the mechanical one. It's probably not recommended, but I do it anyway.

4. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might recommend pulling them from the washer before the drying cycle heats up too much... some trays are not dishwasher safe and will melt. (believe me... :rolleyes::D )

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Re: the dishwasher

I'd recommend this as well (and have a dishwasher that is particularly well suited to it, because the top rack is fully removable).

One cation - I'd be very careful with how much detergent I use, because that stuff is quite harsh.

The rinse aid that a lot of dishwashers dispense automatically might also be a problem.

And whatever you do, do not try to use regular (as in the stuff you use in the sink) dishwasher detergent in the automatic dishwasher!!

Matt

6. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    For those particularly tough stains (silver, tar, etc.), I highly recommend Photofinish. It's fantastic stuff and makes cleaning a breeze.