Cleaning working solution fixer bottle!

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Rhodes, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The title says all, what's the best way to clean a working solution fixer bottle. Just wash with water, rinser several times, or should one use something to disolve the silver and/or the other cheamical residue?
    Since it is to be used again, do one must wash/clean before the new solution is stored?

2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I few dumps of very hot water always works for me. It also helps to just fill the bottle a bit, maybe 1/4 or 1/8 then cap and shake hard. If its a plastic bottle a bit of squeezing on the sides may crack and loosen up material build up. Or maybe even drop in a marble, or some steel bearings.

3. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've found after a while the deposits get thick enough it starts to flake. A good handful of fish gravel in some hot water and spend some time shaking it vigorously will reduce the amount of loose stuff stuck to the insides.

4. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. I forgot to say that it's a folding bottle, the correct term is faling me!

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Accordion bottle, most likely.

Most here will recommend against these bottles, because they are almost impossible to clean properly, and because they are HDPE and leak air (which negates the expected advantage of an accordion bottle).

My advice - don't bother cleaning - replace with a PET bottle (empty, cleaned soda/pop bottles work well).

6. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I kind of agree with the others, but for the sake of being comprehensive, I suspect that a dichromate/acid bleach would clean it right up.

1% concentrated sulfuric acid (add acid to water, never water to acid)
    1% potassium dichromate
    distilled water

Probably overkill though..

7. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will just be substituting deposits, thats how the bleach works.

Just use some house hold ammonia. If it is too far gone, pitch it. It's only a bottle....

8. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you elaborate? I have no problem being mistaken, but would like to understand exactly why.

That formula is a glass cleaner, and also a bleach/solvent for metallic silver in reversal processing. Maybe the problem is that this isn't metallic silver in the bottle, but silver halide?

thnx :smile:

9. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My experience with old fixer bottles is the deposits are usually sulfur compounds that are darn near insoluable. Needs to be scraped off most times.

10. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's an accordion bottle then toss it in the trash bin where it belongs. Two liter soda bottles work just fine, and when it's dirty you toss it and replace with another.

11. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find it next to impossible to get the grunge out of fixer bottles. That is why I use old milk jugs for fixer and when they get dirty with this stuff, I just toss them! It is not worth the effort to make good negatives and have them messed up with spots from this junk falling off the edge of the jug and getting into the emulsion and turning up as white specks on the print.

Loose the jug!

PE