Clearing Gum Over Pt/PD

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Jeremy, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just curious. Do those of you that do gum over your pt/pd prints clear them in sodium or potassium metabisulfite after you've completed you layers?

I've never done this or read about this in relation to gum over printing so I thought I would ask.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were no responses to this post so I thought I would come back and make my observations that I did clear my prints and would recommend that it be done so as I was able to make sure the highlights were snow white.

3. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeremy - I didn't see this the first time around. Yes, I routinely clear my gumovers in potassium metabisulfite to get rid of any residual dichromate stain (didn't I send you a PDF of my gumover manual?). That said, dichromate stain seems to be a function of your water supply or some other local variable(s). I never get it and don't see any visible difference after clearing, but I clear anyway just to be sure. Other gumoverists I know in Houston and Santa Fe get the stain routinely.

4. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Kerik.... a Gum over PDF? is this something you are selling? Id love to see it if possible... or if for sale etc.

5. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kerik

You got me interested in the PDF as well. Is it freely available?

Phill

6. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I think if it were free, it'd be available on www.kerik.com. I would pay for the PDF as well, but I think it's primarily for those who have been fortunate enough to take his workshop.
    Neal

7. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    another name to "the list" of those interested in a Kerik PDF. Gladly pay as well...though I think Neal is correct!!

8. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oops, well... Thanks for the interest, but the gumover manual is small and is really intended to be used in conjunction with a workshop, not as a stand-alone document.