Clogz' Show Announcement at Whitmore Gallery in Salt Lake City, Utah

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Robert Hall, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    This is a little late in coming, however I would like to announce our good friend Clogz has a show...

“Around the Corner”: A Fine Art Exhibit
    Salt Lake City, UT

Photography is a play of light and shadow, line and form. This collection of ten black and white photographs by the Dutch photographer Hans van der Est highlight the interplay of light and shadow and focus the viewer’s eyes on shape. He states, “Light: gorgeous, God-given light has got a hold on me and never ceases to fascinate me. It forces me look.”

Hans van der Est has been shooting for more than 30 years. He looks for “found objects” as he shoots, wandering into scenes throughout the day that speak to him in their simplicity and transience. Each shot is a moment captured in time that may never reappear. He works the image quickly until he has removed everything from the frame that he does not need to create the mood he senses. This crisp elimination of the unnecessary highlights the essence of what remains.

The images in this exhibit were all were made “around the corner—on my way to work or to the supermarket during a period of my life when I was not able to go out on a project.” While not mechanical in nature, it is methodical…”although I am not against pre-planning my pictures, this has over the years developed into a kind of project anyway,” writes van der Est. The frozen movement of a bird in flight, or the cast shadow of a piano emphasis the immediacy of the moment. The artist strives to find beauty in the obvious; it is here, in each clean, honest image.

The photographs are also technically admirable. Van der Est uses 35 mm and medium format film, usually Ilford, sometimes Agfa or Fuji Neopan. He develops and prints in his own darkroom, using chemicals from a Dutch company not usually used in the United States. With the exception of number ten, taken in 1984, all the images were made from 2004 – 2006.

Description of images and artist’s comments:

Cord. I live only a few hundred yards from the river; this was on the deck of a barge.
    Piano. This image was taken at a local museum which is sometimes used for concerts. It is a personal favorite.Clouds and Flowers. Taken near my girlfriend’s weekend home in Zeeland. The area is full of rivers and estuaries and close to the sea, and during sunny afternoons cotton wool clouds appear.
    Clouds and Bird. Taken some minutes after the previous photograph.
    Wall and Shadow…speaks for itself.
    Liquid Light. A lamp set into a concrete pillar outside a museum combined with rain and wind made this image.
    Bikes. The local council seems to have gone a bit overboard in sign-posting this bicycle track.
    Abstract. Bow of a yacht moored in front of my apartment.
    Emergency Exit. Stark modern architecture and nature combined.
    Sigaren (Cigars). Detail of the wooden shutter of an old tobacconist’s shop, now demolished.

This exhibit is showing in the Whitmore Library at 2197 East Fort Union Boulevard, Salt Lake City, 84121 from November 1, 2006 to January 15, 2007. Exhibit hours are Mon.-Thurs. 10:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. and Fri.-Sat. 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. The public is invited; admission is free. Questions or inquires about purchasing prints, contact Robert Hall

Update, November 30, 2006: two images from the collection have been sold.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2006
  2. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hans,

Congratulations on the exhibit. Salt Lake City is a bit too far to travel to see the show however.

Rich

3. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Hans. Too bad the exhibit is so far from me (although most things are!).

4. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Way to go Hans, good luck with it!

5. Marc Leest

Marc Leest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hans, this is great. Does the show come to Benelux ?

Marc

6. zinzin

zinzin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Hans!!! you dark horse... didn't say anything :smile:
    all the best
    Salvo

7. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats, Hans!

Well done, old horse ;-))

Didn`t know that you are such famous!!

8. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Famous? The man is a superstar in the US and Japan!:smile:

Congrats my friend, you deserve that and much more.:D

Cheers

André

9. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done Hans. Wish I could be there.

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats, Hans! Wish I could get to the show... Salt Lake City is a long way from just about everywhere, unfortunately.

11. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good for you Hans!! Congratulations...like the others have said, SLC is a long way from everywhere..