Close-focus/Macro on RFs & Lightweight tiny camera??

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by lifted, Oct 15, 2011.

1. lifted

lifted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought Leica Z2X (point and shoot) to put in my bag for emergency camera use, but I was not impressed with it at all. I was hoping to put a RF in my bag in its place - but I am just now realising that it would also work badly for macro (yes, I'm slow :blink:).

So, question. Is it even possible for a RF to take in-focus close up shots (1/2 metre away, or less)? About 1/2 of my out-and-about shots are framed up close. And if there are no suggestions RF-wise, any general cameras that could do the job and are pretty small?

2. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Try a Minox with its chain. The bumps on the chain correspond to 8-inch, 10-in, 1-ft, 1 1/2 and 2 ft.

You get Macro focus and parallax correction. For greater distance you have to rely on scale focus.

Great for portraits. Touch the chain to your subject's nose and then drop it and shoot.

3. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Without jumping through too many hoops, if you shoot an M-mount camera, you can look at the Leica 90 Macro or 50 Summicron dual range lens. The former is a current lens, the latter you will have to buy used. The 90 Macro focuses down to about .75 meters without the close focus attachment, and goes down to .5 meter with it. Not sure about the specs of the 50 Summicron dual range. There might be a couple of other options in older Leica lenses with focusing attachments (like the NOOKY-HESUM).

In addition to the above options, which actually give you RF coupled focusing, there are a number of lenses that let you focus down closer with no coupling. A lot of the wider Zeiss ZM lenses go down to .5 m, as do some of the Cosina lenses and other RF lenses. Again, no RF coupling below .7 m with these lenses.

As far as non M-mount, I don't really know. There might be some other options with other RF cameras. I might suggest a small manual focus SLR with a 50 macro if you want to shoot film.

4. lifted

lifted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have heard of the Minox name, when I was looking up 110 cameras. I thought they only made 110 and smaller (spy) cameras. I do have some cartridges and some spooling supplies, but not sure if the image quality of such a small negative is worth it, and although they are cool little cameras, I would also only be able to spool black and white film which could be limiting. Were you thinking of a 110 Minox (or 8x11mm) or are there lesser known 35mm Minox out there?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
  5. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some Kodak Retinas (and classic Voigtländers too, I believe) had close up kits.

That involved several diopter filters to be mounted in front of the lens and a sort of "rangefinder" to put in the accessory shoe which would give proper focusing and viewing.
    I actually have one for my IIa, but have never used it. It's supposed to work quite well.

The Olympus XA4 has a 28mm lens which goes quite close and has a knotted carrying strap for measuring close distances.

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Yashica T4 focuses to 14 inches.

7. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I was thinking the 8x11. There will be grain. But you can get close.

8. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem with using an RF for macro work is framing.

That's the whole reason SLRs were invented.

- Leigh

9. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contax G1/G2. Definitely not for macro, but for ~a half meter or so it should be fine with most of the lenses. Stellar compact camera system with several exceptional lenses.

10. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, certainly the SLR "normal" lenses tend to focus closer than the RF counterparts. And a macro is a lot of fun on an SLR, I wouldn't think about it on an RF.

But the Minox solves that issue effectively with its parallax-corrected finder and simple chain with bumps that match the focusing scale arrangement. If the image quality puts you off, then it remains a novelty. But it works. And it's small.

11. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm with Leigh B. on this one. Close up/macro is just not one of a rangefinders strengths. If you often find you cannot get a small enough field size with your RF then the solution is a compact SLR. An Olympus OM-1 or 1n with a 50mm f3.5 Zuiko is the most compact solution and not too expensive, say $250 if you shop carefully. That lens will focus from infinity to one half life size. That is a field size of 2X3 in. at a working distance of about 6 in. from the lens.
    But what if you are talking about more modest reproduction ratios, say a field size of 8X12 inches. That range is possible with a RF camera and plus diopter lenses albeit with the problems of framing and focusing accuracy. With a +2 close up lens set on a 50mm lens focused to infinity the subject will be in focus at 20in. from the front of the lens with a field size of about 10X15in. If this example is about the range you are talking about then by measurement and estimating the framing and stopping down to f8 or smaller you should be able, with experience, to achieve the results you desire with a compact, minimal set up.

12. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can build a wire frame that projects in front of the camera and delineates the image area and focusing distance.

Some examples of a macro frame for an underwater Nikonos [scroll to the bottom of the page]: http://photo.net/learn/underwater/uw2/Nikonos.html

A bit of cardboard that is the length of the front-of-lens to subject distance and the width of the covered area works well if the camera is on a tripod - I used one as a kid along with an Agfa Silette and a +3 closeup lens. Instructions are in the Kodak Photoguides.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  13. artfoto47

artfoto47 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can't always get what you want - I'd agree with pen s on an OM except I'd never pay $250 for one nowdays - there was an OM - 1 recently on CL here with several Zuiko lenses for under or right around $100.

Kinda sucks how little the film gear is worth, but good in the sense that you can get some stuff you always wanted for almost nothing.......

Bob