Close focusing (0.7m) on the M3

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by msbarnes, Dec 30, 2013.

1. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that the M3 doesn't focus closer than 1m.

I'm thinking of getting a lens (like the Zeiss 50/2 Planar or a later 50/2 Summicron) so that I can focus down to 0.7m (or anything closer than 1m without goggles).

-It is true that the M3 (unmodified) doesn't focus closer than 1m, right?
    -If this is true, then how much does it cost to modify the body so that it focuses closer than 1m? I think I read that it is an easy mod, a while ago.

Thanks

2. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. I have M3.

3. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There were production variations with M3 rangefinders some are easy to modify for 0.7m some less so.

If it is in good original condition may be cheaper to buy and sell. Otherwise get a quote first.

Just cause you have a modern lens is not a reason to modify unless you need 0.7 if you need 0.7 you should not be using a rfdr?

Some of the early lenses went below 0.7...

4. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    the first lenses that were supplied when the M 3 was on the market, could only be focussed down to 1 m. When the M 2 came, the focussing range went down to 0.7 m. A lens with 0.7 m range can be focussed down to 0.7 m on the M 3 but the rangefinder stops a 1 m.

5. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a M3 that is over 1mil and I bent the stop arm to get it to focus close. I think it may even get closer than .7m. There is probably a tutorial somewhere on the net, or take it to anyone who is capable. It should only take them a couple of minutes.

6. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Focusing can be modified, but the frame lines will still be stuck at 1m and as parallax is even more important close up I can't see any sort of advantage. Use a finer grain film and crop the image for the 0.7m (or closer) view.

Steve

7. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is the story with the Summicron Dual Range 50mm? Does that solve the issue?

8. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, with the viewfinder attachment mounted it will allow you to focus down to around 0.5 m on the M3. The viewfinder attachment will also correct for parallax.