Closest thing to Plus-X

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Roger Pellegrini, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Roger Pellegrini

Roger Pellegrini Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am all out of Plus-X 120 and just found out that it has been discontinued. Any thoughts as to what most closely matches it? I have been developing it in 777 and would like to keep the same look.

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FP-4

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree: FP-4

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heard in another thread that Neopan SS is very close.

5. Existing Light

Existing Light Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks like you should try a bit FP4 and Neopan SS to see which one you like best :D

6. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where do you buy Neopan SS in 120?

Plus-X and 777 are made for each.

7. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think FP4 looks like Plus-x, but it's a good substitute. It's what I switched to. I miss the classic look of plus-x though.

8. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Neopan SS hasn't been available in 120 for years. It's also gone in 135.

9. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't tried it but I have read that ORWO 54 is quite close to Plus X.
    Apparently is is available in 35mm but I don't think in other formats.

10. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    uh, take a look at fuji acros 100 -- $2.69 a roll at Adorama, it is grainless, no kidding, making enlargments from 120 I use a focusing magnifier and have to use a detail on the image, I can't find grain to focus on.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL! Back to trying FP-4...

13. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Acros is nice film but is nothing like Plus-X.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Plus-x is my fetish film simply because I started with it, 20 years ago. Plus-x, APX100, HP5 and TMax3200 are my absolute favorites.

I'm so glad to have shot my latest Cuba series on Plus-X. Couldn't imagine using a different film.

As for a substitute? I'd lean more towards Fomapan100 for the look. FP4 would be very easy to get accustomed to but the look is not the same.

16. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    have to admit i never shot plus x in 120 -- shooting a lot of it in 35 right now in the Arista rebadged stuff, but have pretty much only used Acros in the Rollei for the last 5 years or so -- amazing stuff.

17. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acros is a t-grain style film. Plus-X is not. Different grain, tone, curves. Different beasts.

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    VERY different beasts. Acros is also not quite panchromatic, or as panchromatic, or something. It has a different look, very worthwhile on its own but sure not Plus-X.

I like FP4+. I got into medium format after Plus-X was already gone, but I've shot a lot of it over the years in 35mm. I'd like to have used it in 120, but alas not. The prices on eBay for 120 Plus-X of reliable vintage always go to levels I'm not going to pay. FP4+ is a very nice film. Not the same, but I don't think a photo is going to succeed or fail based on whether it's on Plus-X or FP4+.

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aren't those prices horrible. No more than a week before the annoucement that PlusX was terminated I bought some some 120 at "normal" prices. I'm happy for myself but wishing I had bought more when I could.

20. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth, I am now experimenting with some outdated but carefully stored aerial +sex and it is very nice :smile: I paid next to nothing for it (thanks Mark!) and it's superb. Not a lick of fog.

I agree that fp4+ is the film to try; with a bit of experimentation, you can probably get the tones close enough; the grain is just about equal.

21. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Acros is Sigma-grained not T-grain. :smile:. Similar yes but not quite the same. But yes, makes it quite different than Plus-X though if one tries you can make Acros look less like Tmax and more towards Plus-X if you want, not exact of course.

22. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm glad to hear that. I shot some of the aerial PX last spring cut to 8x10 and was amazed that it still seemed perfect. Slow films certainly hold up better with age, but some emulsions just seem more stable than others. Verichrome holds up amazingly well also. I found another unopened can of the PX in the freezer. This one seems to have shipped without the box, so maybe the last I bought from Mr. Photo.

I have a slitter and planned to slit the aerial film for smaller Cirkut sizes, and then use the cutoff to respool 120, but I just can't build any confidence that I can make the slitter function well enough to trust using it in the dark. I didn't want to risk trashing perfectly good film.

It is a shame to see 120 becoming such an issue, but TX is amazing stuff and still available. I know it is a different speed, but that is what I personally would use to replace PX (if I didn't have a stockpile of Verichrome Pan). The modern Tri-X is amazingly fine grain, too.

23. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, it's good, but it's not THAT good. I'm actually quite happy with FP4+, so my TLR bag has FP4+ and Tri-X. If I expect dim light I'll have a roll or two of Delta 3200, and if I expect sunny outdoor light maybe, sometimes, a roll of Pan F. Add a couple of rolls of Portra 400 and maybe one of Portra 800 and I feel like I'm set for whatever I find.

24. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea I realize the differences but didn't want to get into it. That's why I said "t-grain style". Sigma and T-grain are much more similar than they are different with the former being somewhat more of a hybrid between traditional and t-grain. But the point is that it's not a traditional film and the curves are significantly different.

25. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know if this is an option. But maybe you could try finding a camera shop that has some left? I've not looked for 120. But I know that there is a local shop out here that has quite a bit of 135 still. Maybe there is a place somewhere that still has 120.

26. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try Shanghai GP3. One of my favourites, also so inexpensive, you have nothing to lose for trying it.