Cloth dust on negatives

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by kbrede, Jun 7, 2012.

1. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is my first time developing B&W film, so don't laugh too hard. I read somewhere to use those thin cotton gloves to prevent fingerprints on negatives. Well no fingerprints but now I have tons of little fibers and white cloth dust on the negs. I tried blowing it off with compressed air. That seemed to help some but there's still plenty left. What should I do? Soak in photo-flo or something?
    Thanks,

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can safely handle your film with cotton gloves ONCE THEY ARE DRY. Until then, only handle them with bare fingers or non-powder coated nylon or rubber gloves but hold them by edges only. Never touch the image area of the negatives especially when it's wet. They are soft and delicate when they are wet. You can easily damage them.

As to your current problem, soak in water for a while, let those fibers fall off on their own in water, then photoflo....

You can sometimes get away with very gentle rubbing with your bare fingers under water but you are taking risks when you do this. It's a last resort type method.

3. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks!