Clubs "photography"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Graham.b, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Graham.b

Graham.b Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Morning all, well here in the UK. Who belongs to a photography club, what does it bring, are they any good. Can there be any benefit, beside's the knowlage that can be got. Who has got any thing that has led to a free lance work, or so.

Regards

Graham

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul Hill, the professor of Photography at De Montfort, calls Club photography "Photography as Sport".

Most UK Clubs are almost totally digital now and many members have a very blinkered view of photography. There are ocassional exceptions.

Ian

3. Jean Noire

Jean Noire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a local club member I am the only member using film. Nearly all activities are geared toward competitions. The advantage is that there is some opportunity to exhibit your work, in most cases if it has been a competition winner. Nearly all discussion is geared toward digital equipment and most work is landscape with bold emblazened or distorted colours for effect, something of a cliche now. Few competition judges have knowledge of black and white printing and I am generally regarded as something of an oddball for using film. Competition winners are usually those with dedication to photoshop with extensively manipulated images.
    There are occasionally talks given on specific photographic topicsand these can be rewarding.
    This is my club experience anyway.
    Regards
    John.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was a member of our local club for a year, mainly because my father is a founder member. Apart from one other member though, it's all digital.

It got to the point where I was only really going for the tea and biscuits in the interval.

Luckilly I joined a band who's practice night was the same night!

Steve.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is what I found. The competition winners were the two or three people who had become experts in Photoshop.

Steve.

6. namke

namke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm a member of my local club and, on the whole, the guest speakers/presentations etc. are rather interesting - last week we had Dave Butcher (ex-Ilford, shoots landscapes on MF B&W _film_), last night we had an 'A/V' presentation from 35mm slides...

BUT! There are only 3 of use (from a membership of 75 or so) who still use film, most having succumbed to the lure of digital. Most of the members are also retired folk (although this year we have had an influx of younger members), who are new(ish) to computers and still enjoy (over)processing their pictures in Photoshop. Most of the members have grown up with film, and can still offer good advice (even though they think you're mad for sticking with it!).

As for competitions, I have found it to be useful to get a different perspective on photographs (although I did get a cup last year for a 35mm slide :wink:)

7. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am a member of a club - although I never go now. Don't like that most of them are digital but most of all I hate the blinkered view they have of images. I once entered a Vandyke and was told 'that's not a competition image'. Well, sorrrrrreee.
    Now meet some like minded film-based photogs on an informal basis as The Camera club [continuing] where we discuss images and the like - have Wet-collodion snaps taken by a visiting Carl Radford and generally enjoy ourselves over a glass of wine or three.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I keep mine in boxes!

Steve.

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The club I belong to is small. It was a part of a communtity college that had a analog photography program that was dropped recently. There are a few members left. How much longer it will last will be seen. It is sign of the times.

Jeff

10. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clubs are....well, clubs. They have rules, spoken or unspoken, and ways of deciding who's "in" and who's not. The danger is, especially if you are not very confident and/or just beginning, they can be undermining, if you don't fit. You are much better off finding a few people whose judgment you respect and trust. Then, test the water in the "real" world if you want wider feedback. If you're joining one already in existence try to find one where the emphasis is on supporting each other in finding you own voice rather than fitting in to some group idea of the norm. To be honest I'm well off any sort of club mentality, however, I think finding people with whom you can foster an atmosphere of creative support and encouragement can be invaluable. After all none of us - or almost none of us - can work, or wish to work, in a vacuum.
    As for my own experience - about ten years ago I did meet with some people (through a part-time course we had done) regularly for about a year and that was invaluable experience for me. No competitons, but we worked on individual projects. It didn't lead to work, but it gave me the interest and confidence to study photography formally a few years later.

11. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have attended several meetings of a couple clubs and recently attended a few meetings of more a group of photography friends that actually have Apug presence. It seems to me that most people either go looking for inspiration or looking for entertainment. A few go looking to learn about photography. I am one that goes for inspiration/creative conversation/input/feeback, and haven't found it. I have found that no one has a strong opinion about anything to have a conversation about. And I have found that people don't want to say anything but blase nice things about all the work. Also I have found that no one really cares about looking at or considering other work or ideas, they just want to hurry up and get to showing their own work and get slapped on the back for it. When I talk to other members of the groups I find that they feel the same way as I do but no one knows how to make it different. What keeps groups together is an interesting meeting place and friends and good beer. At least in my corner.
    Dennis

12. mealers

mealers Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think our biggest problem is that prints just dont look as good as they should on the tinternet. To get a real feel for how the print looks you have to physically see it.

I've been printing for a little under 12 months and until last week (when I received a print from a APUG print exchange) I had never seen or held a FB print.
    Plymouth is not exactly well known for its jaw dropping photography exhibitions and I've never seen a workshop within a 200 mile drive of where I live so personally if their was a film photography I could join I would jump at it!

Meanwhile, I'II just keep gleaning what info I can off APUG and keep asking the daft questions!! :smile:

13. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Which begs the question - aren't we all members of a club here, even though it uses the word "group" in its name?

I've attended a few club meetings as a guest/judge/visitor and my impression is that they are mainly populated by those who like the social element (and why not?) and those who regard photography as a competitive sport, as per the earlier posting. That term "print battle" is guaranteed to set my teeth on edge. It conjures up visions groups of people beating one another about the head with Daler board window-mounted 10 x 8s !

Steve

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clubs are primarily social events that bring together people with similar interests. There's nothing inherently wrong with clubs, but one must not have expectations that are too high.

Photography clubs can be a great place for learning. However, one must understand that photography clubs tend to be trendy. Currently, the trend is toward digital, so that's where the emphasis is going to be in most clubs. If you want to learn digital stuff, clubs provide a great learning opportunity. But if you want to learn traditional or alternative analog techniques, either you need to find a club that specializes in those fields (they do exist - but they are about as scarce as unicorns), or else you need to look for something other than a club.

Another thing about clubs is that they tend to reinforce success. Photography clubs often involve competition - there's nothing wrong with that. Competition is a way to make learning more interesting. But understand that what the club is ultimately going to teach is whatever is needed to be successful in those competitions. If your personal vision differs from the mainstream, you probably won't be successful in club competition, and you will probably not learn very much of what you need to know to satisfy your own personal vision requirements.

16. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've belonged to the local photo club for 10 years, on the executive for 8. I've pulled back from my involvement this year, partly because of family issues and crises, and partly because of the relentlessly digital concentration. When I first joined the club I was new in town and in a rut with photography - shooting the same stuff in the same style over and over. The club was a big inspiration to me, got me out of that rut and trying new things. Digital was just starting to make occaisional appearances at meetings. It was also a fairly small club - it was possible to know everyone, their photographic interests, and something about their personal life.
    The club now has well over 100 members. Many of them folks who are looking for info on how to use the expensive digital cameras they have bought, and the computer programs that back them up. I hear the monthly "Photoshop Night" last year was very popular. (I never went.)
    I'm still a member and go to meetings sporadically. This weeks was worth it - Sharon Milstein with a lovely slide presentation.

I make the occaisional presentation talking about what I'm doing hoping someone will get inspired to put a roll of film into their old camera. A sub-group of film users is forming. I no longer look to the club for inspiration, but I've got APUG for that.

I'll stay a sometime member this year. Who knows what the future will bring?

17. optique

optique Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm in Houston, Tx and would love to find an analog photo club, but of course they don't exist.

If I did join any photo club, I would expect to hear discussions on lighting, composition, and other factors that are common to any camera, digital or not. As AA said, 90% is knowing where to stand.

If they ignore or marginalize these pre-shot compositional factors, they are not much of a photo club.

Have fun,
    Steve.

18. Ann M

Ann M Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to belong to a club in Edinburgh and found that it could be both very good and very frustrating. Over the years there were some excellent talks by a good range of photographers and the club was generally very encouraging, helpful and friendly. However, I did get fed up with the emphasis on competitions, print battles and gaining RPS distinctions. (Even though I used to take part in those competitions!) I wanted to learn more than the club was offering to teach me...
    However, the experience and learning that I had gained encouraged me to go to college to study photography, which I perhaps wouldn't have done otherwise. For that I am grateful.
    Since moving to England, I've given both the RPS and another photography club a go but found both too 'narrow'. I don't want to be told what to think about photography, I'd rather go out and do my own thing. That's where APUG helps. (I hope!) With so many members there must be a huge amount of variety in approach and plenty of scope and encouragement for real exploration of photography...:smile:

19. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I started going to a local club when I moved and was pleasantly surprised. Some digital, some film, no biases either way. The guest speakers have been interesting and most of them have been film-based and do LF (surprise, surprise!). Some of the members are quite knowledgeable about various films, cameras, etc. Others could care less. But everyone has been pleasant and welcoming. Club competitions are dependent upon the judge du jour, but once in a while a good critique by an unbiased observer can be a learning experience. In the end, the club members make the club...if you want it to change, you have to participate or they become exactly what you don't want.

20. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I used to belong to the local club but did not like the arbritary way the president ran the club so resigned my executive position. Received a pile of emails blasting me for not embracing digital and that digital was the future and that all photography was digital as negatives had to be scanned in order to be printed. The club had a darkroom by the way and I was one of the few using it. I never stated my reason for leaving the executive but after the barrage of anti film statements from him I just let my membership lapse. Clubs can be good or bad depending on its members and who is dominant.
    He had arbitray changed part of the program I was in charge of and instead of criticing prints there was a contest of projected images. The club could have had both but as I said arbritary decisions made by one person. There were some nice people there and some even though they were 100% digital thought that film was neat and wanted to learn more but believe that ended when I left. To this day he still tells everyone that I left becuause the club had gone digital (at the time 80% of my shots were digital) and not for the reasons I told him.
    Years ago I learnt a lot for a club in another city. Diferent time, different place and different people.

21. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

I belonged to a club for 12 years and find selecting my entries for competitions an interesting reality check.If it is wished to enter a competition,get a picture framer to cut some window mats to fit the prints,stick a bit of card on the back and write your name and the title on the back.For slides we mark a round spot on the bottom left hand corner as the slide is viewed, and write name and title on the mount.
    At least, if a competition is entered,the judges comments will be interesting if not agreeable.
    IMO going along with nothing and expecting a lot of people will want to dicuss photograpy is a bit optimistic to start with.

22. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know, I had always considered looking into local clubs to get to meet local photographers and never quite followed through due to stories such as these. Well, don't foresee a change in that anytime soon.

23. Graham.b

Graham.b Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All good post, so the view is digi, this is all that is needed to be in on the in crowd. So all of us do not belong, film bias or old people. Never mind them they are not in the real world.
    There is a chap where i work who is a X printer for the local news paper, well be fore they closed, and if often comments on the world of digi, and ask how the dark room is going. With the next statement, you can't beat a good B/W print done in the old way's. I do agree, what else could i say. I do take a print in work for him to look at. Makes him smile.
    I have noticed on the local photography club site, that there is a lot of P/S work done to the on show print's. Is this to say we look forward to your digi's. Or come along and we will convert you.
    By the post so far, it is as above, we will digi you.

24. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've always resisted any offers from friends to join camera clubs as I've never liked the idea of competitions, battles etc.

However, I've recently joined a new independent photography group in my area. It's based on the ideals of IPSE (www.ipse.org.uk) and LIP. We don't have battles or competitions. It's a very supportive group, it gives us the chance to see and discuss each others work. Most people are digital, but it's not important to the group -- it's the image or the portfolio of images that count.

What do other people think of the independent photography group movement?

Mike

P.S. We're based in Shropshire around Shrewsbury, so if anyone is based in Shropshire, Powis etc. and is interested then give me a pm. We've got an exhibition next month in Shrewsbury. There's a very basic website at http://sites.google.com/site/marchesindependentphotography/

25. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It was hearing a comment similar to this at which the penny dropped for me. Deciding there and then that I have no aspirations to make 'competitive images'. Those that hit the attention like a punch to the solar plexus and after a second or two, similarly leave a vacuum of emotion.

I also found the members incredibly cliquey and so decided to channel my efforts as I liked, shooting scenes which interest me, rather than follow the mindset that has people trying to second guess what some imaginary and arbitrary judge might think and those rules by which (invariably) he, would conjure up a mark.

Subsequently I have found this topic to be the most emotive topic when on Light and Land tours. Few seem to get much enjoyment from the 'Club/Society'.

RPS distinctions are another thorny topic liable to get people going! Durdle Door is apparently a great 'Top Left' shot for a panel....

26. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Baxter,

Do you have a public view on RPS distinctions? I've never really understood the point.

Tom.