Clyde Butcher Visions of America Show in Venice California

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by cougstar, Jan 23, 2012.

1. cougstar

cougstar Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I should have posted this earlier, but over the weekend Clyde Butcher Visions of America opened at The G2 Gallery in Venice California, www.theg2gallery.com. It's a wonderful showing of his work. For those interested in seeing mammoth silver gelatin prints this is an amazing show. Some of the prints are so large they feel like you are walking into them. The amount of detail in the prints truly is a sight to be seen in person. If you're not familiar with Clydes' work. He uses large format cameras, and prints very large using 8x10 enlargers and larger, www.clydebutcher.com. I highly suggest seeing the show. I've been waiting a long time to see his silver gelatin prints on the west coast and was not disappointed. Truly a great show.

2. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw this show when it was in a gallery outside Chicago. Very nice. Prints looked better then other Butcher ones I've seen in the past. The gallery claimed these are all darkroom prints even the very large ones. The larger prints are impressive. So are the prices.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw Clyde Butcher prints here in central Virgina sometime ago, they were great.

Jeff

4. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've never been crazy about his work, but his darkroom is really something. He's got several seriously gigantic Salzman enlargers, and sinks and trays like swimming pools.

5. Robert Oliver

Robert Oliver Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree... went to his presentation at the G2 Gallery last week... I thought the detail in the large prints was amazing. Some of the best I have seen. I second the opinion that it felt like you could step into the prints.

Must see if you are a fan of the dark (room) arts!

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may go check this out. I saw some of his huge inkjets last year at the annenburg space and I wasn't impressed with the quality. The guy at the desk tried to tell me they were inkjets because his darkroom prints were all one of a kind. really.

7. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wildbill, you should see his darkroom to understand. When I lived in Florida I used to shoot the Everglades where he lived and had one of the few properties in the preserve. His print work is amazing and seeing some prints of his originals I saw just do not convey any emotion. Think of trying to get the quality of the Mona Lisa from an inkjet print.

8. Robert Oliver

Robert Oliver Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wasn't impressed with his inkjet prints either (couple of large inkjets downstairs) but his Gelatin Silver prints upstairs are worth seeing...