Coating extra large prints

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by davido, Mar 15, 2007.

1. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    hello

I'm going to try making some large 16x20 Van Dykes. I have been using puddle pushers for a while and happy but, for this size, I'll need to have a custom one made. However, I'm also considering getting a Richardson 'Magic Brush' 3" instead. Does anyone have any advice about coating for prints this size? I'm thinking that a brush might just work easier?

thanks
    david

2. Zebra

Zebra Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    David,

I use a 4" Magic Brush for my 20 x 24 Palladium prints. They work wonderfully. Lessons learned: it's quite a bit of chemistry and though you want to get it around quickly it must be controlled as a 4" brush has some weight to it--much more than the 3" I found. I ended up putting some chemistry on the table on the first one.

The Magic Brush will work wonderfully though. I have not tried a puddle pusher in that size to compare.

Good luck,

Monty

3. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've coated 16x20 platinums with a puddle pusher, but the Magic brush is better. Get the 4" though not the 3".

4. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use a 3" for 8x20 and it works well. Of course it is a narrower format. At 16x20 I would imagine the 4" work be a better choice.

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have coated up to 20X24" in vandyke, kallitype and pt./pd. with the Magic Brush and the 4" one is definitely the size you need.

And BTW, anyone know of a good deal on the 4" 9010 brush right now?

Sandy

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only place I can find the 4" brush right now is Jerry's Artarama, which has them for $65.99 . Pearl Paint carries Richeson brushes in the store, up to the 2" size, but they are considerably more expensive - I think Jerry's has the 2" for about $25, and Pearl has it for $42 in the store. I shudder to think what they would want for the 4". I tried Utrecht (they don't carry them on their website), Cheap Joe's also doesn't stock them above a 2", and DixieArt's website page for the Richeson brushes is on the fritz and takes you back to the homepage, so I can't see which sizes or what price they have.

7. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks FC,

Just ordered the 4 "

8. davido

davido Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    thanks to all for your good advice. I've also put in my order to Jerry's for a 4" before the mad rush.

david

9. Brook

Brook Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I saw a few at a local exellent art supply store in st paul that had a few 4" 9010 brushes in stock, were $75.00 each, but they are having a sale right now, dont know the discount off hand. I also get mylar neg sleeves in packs of 100, 11x14 are 20.00 or so for the bag of 100, they have larger sizes also. great folks to deal with.

www.wetpaintart.com