Cold light buzzing noise

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by MarkL, Feb 18, 2010.

1. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I bought a used Zone VI single tube cold light with stabilizer on eBay. When plugged in the light is bright and constant but it buzzes fairly loudly, which I assume is a transformer inside. The seller said it was fine before shipping. Does anyone know if it is fixable or what options I have? I don't want to listen to that annoying noise while printing.

Mark

2. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You might have to let it warm up. Turn it on for ~15 minutes before you plan to use it to see if it settles down. Also, buzz = vibration.

3. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's normal for cold lights to buzz during start up. It's the same with some flourescent bulbs starting up cold. That said, some cold lights have a warming feature that will warm the bulb up so you don;t have to wait too long for it to reach operating temperature. I have an Aristo cold light head that has a seperate plug for the warmup.

4. JMcLaug351

JMcLaug351 Member

Mark, If you are using the Zone VI comensating timer be sure the "Lamp" control button is turned to Maximum.
    JOHN

5. JMcLaug351

JMcLaug351 Member

PS. The is the Lamp knob on the Timer.
    JOHN

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the buzzing wont go away you may want to open it up and make sure the screws holding the transformer/ballast haven't loosened in shipping. Ballasts will buzz as they get old and the iron delaminates and the coil loosens.

7. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ok, had a chance to look inside the head. All nuts are tight so not sure what is vibrating - nothing fixable by me anyway. I also left it and the warmup plugged in for 10 minutes and the buzzing didn't diminish. I am testing by plugging them in directly to wall outlet, not through a timer or the stabilizer.

I've had 2 other cold lights and they have always been completely silent no matter first turned on cold or when warm. I could sure do without the buzz when focusing and enlarging. Am I out of luck with this used cold light?

Thanks,
    Mark

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably cost more to replace transformer/ballast than to buy another unit off of eBay.