Cold Light VC, Filters vs Dual Tubes

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by George Collier, Mar 6, 2005.

1. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After 40 or so years of Graded paper printing, the last 20 of which with an Aristo standard cold light, I was convinced to try VC papers. I got ahold of one of the Filter Drawer Aristo heads (CL45) with the V45 lamp to satisfy myself that the paper was up to Graded quality. I like the paper, trying several and settling on Forte, for a number of reasons, which I now am having great difficulty finding, like the rest of the world (another story). Anyway, I find that the exposures with this combination are extremely long (no matter what paper I use), and I'm not looking forward to very long exposures for 16 X 20 prints. I just read several old threads discussing this subject, but not this direct question - Can anyone tell me:

If I buy the Aristo VCL4500 Dual Bulb head, will exposures be noticably shorter, not having to use filters? The filters are a bit inconvenient, but I don't mind changing them, it's just the long exposure times.

2. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't answer your question directly, but does your Aristo head have a V45 lamp or a V54 lamp? What size negative are you enlarging from? Cold lights tend to be on the slow side. The older "bluer" lamps on graded paper seemed pretty fast, though.

3. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, it is the V54 lamp, as you corrected.

4. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And, the neg sizes are from 35mm to 4X5, everything is slow.

5. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    George,

I have an Aristo VCL4500 and with the probe for the metrolux it is a nice closed loop process. I recommend using the Metrolux II with this set up. If you are a confirmed advocate of cold lites then this is the way to go. The green and blue tubes are excellent for split filter printing and if you want you can dial in a filter from grade 0 to grade 5.2.

I dont find the times excessive. 20 or 30 seconds is about all. There is another brackect is needed for mounting on the Omega heads but it is about $20 and very easy to install. The probe will need to be installed on the blue tube and a hole drilled into the top for the probe wire to enter the head.

I had one for sale but things have worked out so I will be able to buy the other enlarger and keep the VCL4500.

lee\c

6. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to Aristo your exposure with the double leamp head will be somewhat longer than with their V54 lamp

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    filter draw?

I have a V-54 lamp on a Beseler 4x5 enlarger and if anything it is faster than the older cold lite that I originally used. The only thing that comes to mind is the filter draw. I use below the lens filters and it works just fine. Something is diffusing the light to increase your times. The V-54 is an outstanding lightsource and way cheaper than the two tube variety. If you try your setup without the filter draw and use the filters as above you will see a marked difference in printing time. Try it and see.
    Regards, Peter

8. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank ya'll

Just a Southern (barely) thanks for all your replies. Indeed, as was pointed out, the single V54 bulb is faster than the Dual set, according to Aristo. They did recommend placing a gray card behind the element to enhance reflection out into the light chamber (yes, gray, not white). So, I've saved spending $1200 or so, and can dive back in with what I have.

I am a new member and appreciate the quick responses from "ya'll". (I really don't speak with an accent.)

9. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I have used both the VCL8100 and the V54. I now have the V54 that I use with filters below the lens. The V54 is much bright than the VCL. With medium format, coldlight isn't that bright, but okay. About the same as condenser. With 35mm, coldlights are just too slow, but with the larger negatives, coldlight wins out.

If your coldlight is actually cold and not warmed up, it won't be very bright. Brightness can vary by 10x with temperature. Use the heater (thermo) if you are in a cold room. With coldlights, a closed loop controller like a MetroLux is definitely required for consistant exposures.