Collapsing/unlocking a Leica Elmar 5cm f3.5

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mesh, Jan 5, 2011.

1. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've been playing with a IIIf and have done something stupid... I can't move the focus tab anymore (locked to infinity) and also can't seem to collapse the lens. Have looked at the manual but still can't work it out. Please help a stupid geek ;-) Thanks.

2. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least on a Summitar, to unlock the focusing ring, you press the round button on the tab in.
    To collapse and extract the lens, a quarter turn of the front section will unlock it, allowing it to collapse. After extracting, another quarter turn in the other direction will lock it in place.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the same on the Elmar :D

Ian

4. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Elmar works the same as the Summitar. Sometimes, the barrel will be jammed so hard over to the right that trying to rotate CCW to collapse it will only unscrew the lens from the body - in that case, try taking it off the body and using both hands. At least, I've seen that with Summar, Summitar and Industar-22s. For whatever reason, my 1936-ish Elmar barrel doesn't lock - it can be turned forever in either direction - but, I don't think that's a deliberate feature.

Dan

5. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Fantastic! Thanks very much - you've all saved me from a lot of frustration. Appreciated.