Collectible Book

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Bill Harrison, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Bill Harrison

Bill Harrison Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a NICE copy of William Kline's ROME, I bought new in 1963. Any ideas on the best way to sell it? I understand it's worth some $ and I'm working towards a Leica MP..... Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks Bill

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! That's ballsy.

4. diser

diser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wonder, how in the world, 1959 book is considered a collectible and has $1,499.00 asking price :confused:

5. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Bill,

If it is worth in that neighborhood, you might want to forgo the bay, etc. and find a proper auction for it, where it will be advertised to the type of collector looking for such a piece. Of course as a subscriber you are always welcome to place it in the APUG classifieds.

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    How is a 1959 book worth that much? Easy. It is in excellent condition, had a low print run, and is now sought after. I have some monographs by modern photographers that are valued at $4-500 each in the non-numbered editions. The signed, slipcased, numbered print runs which include a print are valued at over $1500 each.

To verify that valuation for your copy, in addition to an auction house, I'd contact a rare book dealer who specializes in photography books to see if yours really is worth that much. Try calling up The Strand Bookstore in New York - http://www.strandbooks.com/ , or A Gallery for Fine Photography in New Orleans - http://www.agallery.com/ . Those are two off the top of my head who deal in rare books and photography books and would give you an honest answer. If it isn't something they'd be interested in, I'm sure they could point you to someone who is.

7. Bill Harrison

Bill Harrison Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kline Book

Thanks everyone for your help. Contacting Strand Books first, after which, with an idea of its value, may list on apug. No rush, I've had it this long and want it to go to someone of similar interest, not just a bookshelf. I love Kline's work, grain and all..... Be Well, Bill

8. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I've sold rare books on amazon.com. Check bookfinder.com for prices.

Jon