College Project - Zenit 12XP

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by BajaDan, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BajaDan

BajaDan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey gays is my first post on the website and I'm pretty sure it won't be my last, I have gained some success locally with my digital photography work but I have a photography assignment next September and I'd like to have it all 35mm film photography. I have a Zenit the camera feels really nice in the hand ridiculously heavy:smile: I'd like to use the camera for as long as it can live. I replaced the battery's for the late metres but they stop working now:pouty: I was reading that their useless anyway.

The film I have is 400 iso on the Zenit I've got ASA-16-32-65-130-250-500 if someone could explain what I should set to there are also gaps in between those intervals.

I look forward to growing knowledge with you gays!:smile:

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

3. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As the ISO setting relates to the internal meter, and your meter is useless if I understand what you are saying, just disregard it. Get a handheld meter and use the ISO scale on it. Generally, there are detents on the internal camera meter ISO scales. If there is a detent between the 250 and 500 then use it if the meter is good. Make sure you have some practice with the camera before attempting its use for the project to make sure the rest of the camera functions as it should, especially the shutter speeds.

4. BajaDan

BajaDan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    okay well last time I got my film developed everything came out horrible one photo was actually really nice though, mainly because I shot it at day time with lots of sunlight the other photos was of a rock gig. also I was moving the ISO up-and-down and the shutter speeds were totally wrong, if it's a sunny day and I have a f1.7 50mm lens watch shutter speed should I use?

Thank you for your help Mustafa Umut Sarac and BrianL you dudes ROCK!!!

5. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Using the Sunny 16 Rule ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule ): set the lens aperture to f16 and the shutter to 250/sec or 500/sec if you are using 400 film. If you are using color negative I would use the 250/sec as it likes a little more exposure.

6. BajaDan

BajaDan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks btaylor that helps a lot!

7. BajaDan

BajaDan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll shot and let you guys know

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator