Collodion concentration

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Fullspace, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Fullspace

Fullspace Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi all,

I'd like to try wet plate collodion, but I can only get 2% collodion, but the majority of sources I have read say a concentration of around 6-8% should be used.

Is it pointless using the 2% or should it work?

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Louis.

2. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    www.mavidon.com

This is where I order my collodion. Click on "Wet Plate Photography". I order the 625 ml bottles and they go a long way.

Good luck!

3. Fullspace

Fullspace Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for that, but should have said I'm based in Ireland. I don't think you can send collodion over seas, can you?

4. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Where are you located? You should be using USP collodion if possible, not non-flexible collodion--which contains castor oil and other additives. If your 2% collodion is pure (a mixture of only pyroxiline, ether, and ethanol), you may be able to use it. The final concentration of pyroxiline in salted collodion is about 2%, so you may have some success dissolving your iodide and bromide salts in the absolute smallest volumes of solvent (a couple mls), and then adding them directly to your 2% collodion. Your ether concentration will be higher than normal--maybe 70% vs. 59% for normal salted collodion, but it may be fine. Some collodion workers use ether concentrations as low as 30% if they dilute the collodion with only ethanol as a solvent. A bit higher might work, but if your mixture thickens with use, I'd dilute it back down with pure ethanol--which would bring your ether concentration closer to that in normal salted collodion. Before you waste your time, see if you can find a similar collodion preparation that's used in the US or Europe.

Edit: Ok, someone should be able to give you an EU source.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  5. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might want to contact Quinn Jacobson and get on the Collodion Forum. Quinn now lives in Europe and has helped a lot of wet heads over there obtain the goods. There are also a lot of Europeans on the forum that I am sure can help you.

6. Fullspace

Fullspace Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks! The collodion I USP, no castor oil added!

So I could add my salts in, just with a lot less ether/ethanol? I was thinking of doing that actually. Just wasn't too sure!

I'm based in Ireland by the way!!

7. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Use ethanol as a solvent, and the absolute least you can get away with--you don't want any more ether. Bill's advice to ask Quinn about a collodion source is a good idea.

8. eoghan

eoghan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a few Irish people on the board too

Eoghan