Colloid on Glass Question

Discussion in 'Silver Gelatin Based Emulsion Making & Coating' started by zolveria, May 25, 2010.

1. zolveria

zolveria Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there a way i can Place colloid on glass and place under my enlarger
    and transfer that to the emulsion?

Or do i have to use a pinhole camera?

I just saw a video and I am awed... these will make nice Xmas Present for my family. :smile:

2. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    I do not realy understand what you are asking.. Are you asking "Can one use a Colloid plate as a contact negative? If that is your question-Of course. But the "emulsion" must be of enlarger speed.
    What dose a pinhole camera have to do with this?
    I think that no one else has responded to your question because it is just not clear as to what you want to do.
    Bill.
    Bill

3. OP
    zolveria

zolveria Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What I am asking is..
    When you place the colloid on the glass .. and after you bathe it.
    Do you have to use a camera to expose the image to the emulsion.

What i would like to do is. expose the emulsion with my enlarger and not the camera ?

4. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmmmm, I think I know what you mean. I thought that Wet plate Collodion (sensitized with silver nitrate) is mainly UV sensitive, so that may be a problem with an enlarger. Dry plate would be a different issue I think. K

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have made dry plates that i used instead enlarging paper, the emulsion
    is basically paper emulsion ... wet plates, as kal said,
    are sensitive to a different type of light ... making enlargements might be troublesome.
    ( and collodion is flammable ("sensitive" ) to heat. )

6. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello zolveria,

I have used an enlarger (tungsten lamp) to make wet-plate collodion on glass positives from B&W film negatives and ambrotypes from B&W film transparencies. The exposure time was 5-8 minutes, but works quite well. There are many variables, so your results will differ. I do not have a working set-up to use sunlight, as was used in the old days, and some people use today. I wanted to make images of subjects that could not be still long enough for wet-plate. Another thing to note: Wet-plate has a very different spectral response than panchromatic film, so if you use a panchromatic negative the results will look quite different than a wet-plate of the same scene. Also, wet-plate is extremely fine-grained. The enlarged image of a film negative may not have as fine a grain. Tonal range and Dmax are also factors. I did not find this to be a problem for my purposes.

If you already do wet-plate, give it a go. If not, the harder part (and most fun), is making wet plates. It is magic! (So is making silver-gelatin emulsions).

Cheers,
    Clarence

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010