Color desaturation in 35 mm film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by khaled fares, Mar 19, 2014.

1. khaled fares

khaled fares Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi , i'm new in developing , i've been developed 2 rolls of 35 mm fuji 200 in jobo kit - but one of films has a color desaturation in the middle of the shot like the attached.

can anybody advice _DSC2838.jpg _DSC2836.jpg

2. Daire Quinlan

Daire Quinlan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd check your volumes. In a paterson tank I need 600ml of solution to cover 2 rolls of 35mm. Looks like your solution reached about half way up the second roll. So the top half only got developed on inversion, which also explains the socket surge marks on the top of the shots.

3. khaled fares

khaled fares Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks Daire for your reply , i used 600 ml already of solution. and all requirements were exist - temperature , timing , even the number of agitation times.

4. Colin DeWolfe

Colin DeWolfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Were the reels stacked tightly on each other on the center core? I'd suggest throwing in the reels on the core, then some water to cover the reels, then pouring it out into a graduate to measure how much it really takes to cover them.

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    also, did you put empty reels to keep them from sliding in the tank on the spindle?

6. khaled fares

khaled fares Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks colin,
    yes, reels are stacked tightly with its special nob in them , yes i did this measuring way before starting process.

7. khaled fares

khaled fares Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks EASmithev,
    i didn't do this , i put 2 paterson reels only in the 3 paterson tank depending on its stacking nobs for avoiding silding , maybe that it is .

8. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    use three reels and rotary agitator rod.

9. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it possible the reels slid on the spindle and then one stuck? This could keep half the reel out of developer when not agitating, as suggested before.

10. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi khaled fares,

I suspect same, that one of the reels did not get fully covered with developer (or other solution in the sequence). This would happen to me frequently when I used Paterson tanks and surprisingly, seems the reel works its way down to the bottom again by the time I open the tank, so I can never catch it in the act.

You can either make something that guarantees it will never slide up, like a piece of plastic pipe cut to the exact width needed to reach the lid. Or you could always use enough solution to fill the tank to the complete top.

Your photographs are of beautiful scenes, hope you can go back and get the shots again.

11. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Apollo missions used Honeywell Nikor tanks for good reason, and so do I.

12. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It is normal for the clips to lose tension if they are stored on the cylinder, the only safe technique is to add empty spirals to fill the tank with empty spirals or user rotary agitation.

The instructions said store the clips off the spirals.

13. khaled fares

khaled fares Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thank you Xmas, i'll do .
    regards.

14. khaled fares

khaled fares Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thank you Bill for your great comment.

i'll put a 3rd reel to prevent others from sliding.

it is just a starting to return to the great real photography,
    it is almost an art & fun , i'll spend some time on 35 mm and then shift up to 4x5 when i get a great deal for LF gear.

regards.