Color film as BW

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by narigas2006, Dec 16, 2009.

1. narigas2006

narigas2006 Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi All,

i know that old kodachrome film can be developed as BW, but does anyone knows if old ektachrome (commercial) can be also developed as BW? Many thanks!

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and for your info, the first developer in reversal process is a B&W developer.

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is possible to develop any silver based film as black and white. They may not look good, but you can do so.

4. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    why would you want to? surely b&w film is cheaper and looks better, or am I missing something..?

5. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I accidentally sent some c-41 film into the lab one time, thinking it was b/w. oops :tongue:.

came back as b/w color negs. scanned ok. contrast was really high though, highlights/shadows totally blocked up. I wouldn't recommend it though. If you want b/w from color film, the Ilford XP2 Super/ Kodak BW400CN are nice films, and print nicely. if you print b/w only(on b/w papers), the XP2 would be the better choice, since there isn't the orange mask. With the BW400CN, there's the traditional orange mask. the kodak one is flatter in most cases from what I've found.

for b/w only though, I'd personally rather shoot real b/w. unless you don't dev your own film/take it to a lab.

-Dan