Color film choice for photographing artwork

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Fintan, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for 120 color [positive] film recomendations for photographing un framed paintings under studio flash lighting.

Anyone with experience give me a recomendations?

I'll need it to be true color.
    Sharp.
    Scan well.
    Exposure lattitude would be handy but not totally necessary.

Fintan

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have alway used either Provia or Astia to take the art work photos for clients, my personal choice is Provia, true to color with not much saturation, very fine grained and nice smooth color transitions.

Dave

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    EPN is probably the most neutral film out there for this purpose.

4. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ektachrome 160T - 3200k lamps. Created for photographing artwork.

5. panchromatic

panchromatic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't do it, but i often here people using fuji astia, or ektachrome 64T, 160T

6. Clueless

Clueless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is the intended out-put? Why not check with the scanner operator/service?

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you're using strobes, then you wouldn't want a tungsten film like 160T or 64T, or you'll have to gel your lights or filter the lens.

8. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm using strobes [Elinchrom Style 600 to be precise] and I'm not sure what scanning will be done yet. The job is to produce slides and after that the lady is on her own....:cool:

But ultimatly its for an exhibition catalog and her website.

9. steve

steve Member

Kodak EPN is what I use for this kind of work as it's made for copy work, catalog work, and museum documentation. However, if I were you, I would shoot a test roll to confirm color balance with your strobes and your lab's processing to see if the combination needs a slight CC correction for an exact match.

10. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been using Agfachrome RSX 50 with DynalLites.
    So far, five (5) students have been accepted into Art Schools after submitting those slides.
    The Artists themselves will be the most critical of the color balance.

Recommendations:

1. Framed or not framed, with glass, or without - be *very* careful with reflections. Two (2) light sources, each 45 degrees from the work at equal strength, work well, but do NOT ignore ambient light.

2. Exposure will be important, if not critical. I would suggest Incident readings with a good flash meter.

3. Be careful with perspective. Keep the camera centered on the work, and avoid "keystoning".

4. Eliminate all of the background in the axis not covered my the frame. Black mat board, propped in place by whatever means, is useful here.

5. Warn your client that metallic inks/ paints are off limits. There is NO way that I know of to reproduce the metallic "look" with film of any sort.

6. If multiple copies are needed, make additional exposures. *Much* less expesive than producing copies, and quality will not be affected by the additional process.

Good luck! This will not be "easy".

11. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Ed said, if they are behind glass, it is very important to get rid of the glare of the glass, I alway set my lights at a 45 and also use polarising gels in front of the lights to get rid of any glare from the glass.

Dave

12. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guys thanks for these replies, can I just ask you what light modifier would you use? Softboxes, Umbrellas or just reflectors?

13. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just use plain reflectors at 45-degrees to the work to be copied, and I don't polarize unless the work isn't really flat. If it has some texture, like an oil painting, then you might also have better results if you cross polarize.

14. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bring lots of black fabric to mask the art work ( think overmatting ) and to - if needed - make a shoot through mask for the camera... to eliminate yourself reflecting in the artwork. Bring a kodak or macbeth color chart, and include in a frame.

Many slides are computer generated now: in any case, having a reference like a color chart makes the lab's work easy. Easier.

I'd prefer using EPN, the absolute KING of correct color. But if E6 is out, look at Kodak Ultra Color 100. Scanning a 'chrome will be easier for the lab to nail the color.

As for lighting, use plain, small, reflectors, at a 45 degree angle.

Good luck.

15. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

16. cvik

cvik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't photographed any artwork but judging by your list, one film comes to mind, Agfa RSX 50 - sharp, neutral colors and scans well.
    I see many recommend tungsten balanced films but this is clearly not the choice if you use flash.