Color film for Rome

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by RattyMouse, Jun 12, 2014.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm wondering which color film is considered better (if that's possible) for use photographing Rome. I am trying to decidde between Provia 100F, 400X, Reala 100, 160NS, and 400H.

I'm sort of torn which is best for city environments. 400H is my all time favorite color film so that's going to make the trip with me, but for 100 speed film, I'm not sure if I should stay with negative film or maybe shoot some chromes. Or I could stay with all 400H and buy a ND filter for my camera for those wide open shots.

Final use is for personal family stuff, nothing more.

Format will be 6 x 7 and maybe 6 x 4.5.

Thanks for any opinions!

2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    110 views, not one comment.

Question withdrawn.

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me start :smile:.
    I don't shoot color, but I was in Rome often - and I did shoot 2-3 rolls of Fuji Superia. You can not go wrong with any film, Rome is so colorful and nice. Even with strong sun - there are so many small narrow streets in Rome - that are not so bright, so iso 400 is a good idea.

4. 02Pilot

02Pilot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not on your list, but I found the palette of Portra 160 to be just about perfect for the Mediterranean.

5. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why not bring a mix of films? That way you can use the best film for that particular situation?

6. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello Rattymouse,

I think everyones opinion is different on colors. And everyone have a different lens , scanner and post process capabilities. IMHO Portra is the best film in the world but I remember it did not satisfy you in China. A foreigner does not visit Rome from Shangai and you must be careful.

May be slide film is more enjoyable , you cant be wrong with Velvia , I bet your Fuji camera engineers are little bit optimised the lens to Fuji , more than Kodak , but its a guess.

But if there is still gold for 120 at market , it is even better than Portra.

Some people adores Nikon and hates Leica , I am reverse. Some adores Fuji but I love Kodak.

What is your opinion or could not you decide yet ?

Umut

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd try some Ektar 100 for street shooting. Especially in 120.

Amend that - if you're set on Fuji film, take Reala 100. It isn't Ektar 100 (my new favorite) but it is a terrific all-purpose film (it's what I replaced with Ektar).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  8. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those films you've listed are apples and oranges. Oranges travel better than apples. Take the oranges.

9. giannisg2004

giannisg2004 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With 6x7 negatives, you won't be seeing huge differences between 160 and 400 negative film.

So, for your slow stuff, get some slide for its contrasty look.
    Provia is nice, because you can also shoot people, and it's saturation is not over the top, like Velvia.

When I travel, I like to keep things simple, so I take with me just 1 colour 400 (Portra) and 1 B&W 400 (Tri-X), as these films are very versatile an perform well in low light (can be pushed).

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All my favourite photographs of Rome were shot on Kodachrome 64, so my direct experience isn't going to help you much.
    But speaking more generally, Rome has/had a colour palette that really appealed to me - warm colours with depth and complexity that depended more on subtlety than intensity or excess saturation for effect. Perfect fof Kodak film :smile:.
    I would suggest Portra 400 and a camera with fast shutter speeds, because the early morning and evening and night light in Rome is magical and the grain of Portra 400 is remarkably fine. If you are going to project transparencies, then a lower saturation option is preferable.

11. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. I am taking my last stash of REALA with me to Rome. That hurts, but really, film is to be used, not horded.