Color of Pyrocat MC part A

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by George Collier, Oct 25, 2007.

1. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just received and used a new batch of Pyrocat MC in glycol (from PF). I did a direct comparison to HD with 2 sheets of 4x5 FP4, same shot, same dilution and time, etc. Differences will have to be seen after printing, very close, as promised on other threads.
    One thing that suprised me, though - the color of the MC Part A was very dark, like old Rodinal, or coffee. This stuff is less than a week old.
    Part A of HD (in water) is very light amber, even after a year in small bottles.
    Is this normal for MC?

2. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My liter bottle of Pyrocat-PC, which I mixed about a year ago, is a deep burgundy color. I just finished another bottle mixed about two years ago and it was more or less the same color when I used the last of it. It was working fine at the end.

Sandy King

3. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    George ... my Pyrocat MC (also mixed in glycol ... also from PF) is also dark. Works great!

Rick

4. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Color of my Pyrocat-MC Part A mixed in glycol

I mixed two liters of Pyrocat-MC Part A in Propylene Glycol from scratch (over a year ago) it is dark amber in color and it works great.

5. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mixed a liter of part A last year in August and it was medium amber in color. A month ago i mixed another 1 liter and it is very light amber. Have a feeling that it could have to do with the mixing temperature although not substantiated. The last 1 liter was mixed at a lower temperature than the first.
    The catchetol looked the same for both mixtures.
    Don't see any differences on my negatives.

jan