Color print film in Diafine

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BetterSense, Jul 9, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a roll of color print film that I burned testing a camera, but I want to develop it. I was considering using it as a cross-processing experiment. To the best of my knowledge, developing C41 film in B&W chemicals results in a black-and-white negative, but I don't know what time to use, so I figured I could just use Diafine. Will this result in a printable neg?

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you process C41 color neg film in Diafine you'll get a barely printable image. If you scan them, you may get decent results. The orange base of the film will royally screw up anything you thought you knew about printing. How do I know? I've tried it. Especially the highlights are tough to do anything with.
    Lith printing might work better. But scanning really is the way to go in my experience.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can process C41 film in a B&W dev, and fix, wash well and re-halogenate in a Ferricyanide/Bromide bleach, wash then re-develop in C41 chemistry as per normal.

Depending on the B&W dev you use you can get some quite interesting results.

Ian

4. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Diafine, an Epson 4990 and an HP printer works. I have held the prints. Very nice.

5. pcyco

pcyco Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hallo
    please allow me a little question:
    do you have times for c41 films in b&w chem.
    i also want to try this ( i have d23,d76,and rodinal)

thankyou

thomas