Color woes

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Wolfeye, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Finally mixed up a batch of chems for another try at color. First print nearly black, ok, too much time on the print. Try again tomorrow. Next one just a tiny bit dark, color off, will try tomorrow. Next print, hmmmm... color not bad but why all these white streaks on the paper, unexposed, undeveloped... next two prints, same problem. Did my paper get freezer burned? Or is this agitation? I'm guessing the former with three prints in a row with horrible undeveloped areas:

[​IMG]

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    try processing a sheet in the light. I would say paper flaw.

3. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Paper looks fogged - note the really poor Dmin except for the really bright bit (or is that a flash reflection?) under the carriage. Or is the poor brightness a fault in your photo/scan of the print? Or maybe it's still overexposed.

The streaks look like no developer touched there or maybe damaged paper.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it was drum processed there was probably not enough solution used for each step.

The bluish color looks like it might be under blixed but it could be fogged.

PE

5. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The white streaks tell me that the surface might not have been level (or drum motor). I'd make sure that solution touches all surfaces.

6. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I fixed it. I added more solution to the tank (+10ml), slowed down how fast I was agitating, and added a pre-soak in lukewarm water. I'm about out of chemicals now, but it lends credence to the saying "The closer you are to quitting, the closer you are to succeeding". :smile:

7. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest using simple&traditional tray processing to get rid of drum-related problems.