Colorvir toners

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Lukas Werth, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, does anybody know whether the Colorvir company in France is still active, and how they may be contacted?

Their website is active, but the traders in Germany do not stock the product any more, I get no answer to my email, and the French phone number given there connects to someone else.

Lukas

2. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had the same expeience whenever I tried to contact them a couple of years ago. Never ever answered any of my emails.
    I don't know if still trading or not.
    Tim

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If not it's a pity - the set of toners is great fun. I still have most of mine left - which may indicate that the toners last too long and have too large capacity to be economical for the producer?

There's also the sad fact that with the introduction of d*g*tal photography for "everyman", churning out prints with whacky colours qiocly lost its appeal...

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just checked the Firstcall website. It lists the Colorvir Effects Kit which on reading the information seems to be the kit to which the thread refers. It's priced at £36.99. Firstcall says it has been importing the kits for the last 4 years. There's also a professional kit at twice the price. Looks to be fun to use. I have seen examples in a Roger Hicks/Frances Schultz book which were impressive.

pentaxuser

5. Rombo

Rombo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the answers; I was not aware of the firstcall website. I only hope the kit will remain available; I am somewhat worried that they sell only left-overs. Before I place an order, I will ask them.

If and when I get a kit, I will certainly share the English manual.

7. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Firstcall deal mainly with the photography student market in the U.K. and while not the cheapest on many items are very reliable and carry a wide range of items. By left-overs I take it you mean kits made up from old stock? I would be surprised if the kits were left-overs. If Firstcall continues to import the kits as it says then this indicates fresh stock and if it was left-overs then I'd be surprised if this wasn't stated.

In short I think you will find they are new kits but asking the question is worthwhile.

pentaxuser

8. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am sorry to say that the ColorVir company is now dead.

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can you say what the source of your information is? Last night I contacted Firstcall about Colorvir as it stocks Colorvir products and is a big customer of Colorvir.

I received a reply today from Rodney Bates, Sales Director, as follows: "Colorvir has not ceased trading and we have good stocks and our new order from France is being delivered next week"

pentaxuser

10. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I read it in a french magazine. Don't remember if it was Reponse Photo or Le Photographe...

But It's not the Bible. And if it is still alive, I would be glad.

11. Lukas Werth

Lukas Werth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    address for colorvir

For what it's worth, I would like to report that I recently received an answer to my email request from a French address, a yahoo account, saying that the sender would be happy to send me a package of colorvir against an advance cheque to a sent to a French Postal address.I am not going to order it now, as I decided for an alternative, and as I received this email privately, I am not certain whether it is okay to post it here, but I will give it to anyone who contacts me privately.

12. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am curious if Colorvir is no longer around making their products does anyone know what the chemicals where in those bottles? A-j and Freezing the Grey and the dyes etc?

~Steve

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Steve, can't answer the second part of question but have a look at my previous post. The MD of Firstcall, a large mail order site in the U.K. dealing with the student market confirmed to me in an e-mail that Colorvir is still operating and he was expecting another consignment of kits from them.

pentaxuser

14. kr236rk

kr236rk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  15. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good news.
    The colorvir company were very uncommunicative to me when I was writing the toning book. I drew a complete blank with them.

Don't forget that Fotospeed's Palette Toner kit contains some very similar toners based on vanadium and titanium. Many of the other colorvir bits can be sourced elsewhere too eg sepia, and other bits of the kit.

Tim

16. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This thread is quite some years old, and I have a full Colorvir kit totally unused right here. What can anybody tell me about it? Thanks.

17. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Did it include a wire bound book (some 100 odd pages) ?

It is an interesting process that suits some subjects. It can also look quite garish if overdone.

18. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No, just an 8 page leaflet. And the packaging list makes no mention of such a booklet.

19. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    PM an email address and I'll send a 12Meg file over.

20. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So... I've been doing photography since 1966, and darkroom since 1971, and only now do I have my hands on a Colorvir set. The possibilities are exciting, but somehow dampened by the realization that no matter what I do, it will be seen as a photoshop job. Just a gd dang bunch of photoshop trash. Further mitigated by the fact you can't even buy any refill chemistry any more.
    But you know what?, I'm going to make some Colorvir pictures anyway, and damn computer "art". That's not art, that's just computers.
    I've already got a couple pictures in mind. Thanks for the help.

21. mrlmarshall

mrlmarshall Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    colorvir chemicals

Hello,
    Came across your old post re colorvir. I'm hoping to buy some Colorvir A additive. Perhaps you have some to sell or email the yahoo address (in France) you mentioned in your post. I have plenty of the other chemicals perhaps we can swap.
    Please get back to me. mrlmarshall