Colour film,,,,expensive to use???

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by sausage100uk, Jul 14, 2007.

1. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have just bought a film scanner (Acer Scanwit 2720) so now i can shoot colour film (E6 & C41) and scan/print at home. I happened to wander into the Lidls in Brighton today to have a poke about while i was on shift and what do I see before me??? Fujicolour 200 twinpacks of 36 exp 135..... £0.99 <50p a roll....for branded film...apparently Fuji are producng this film specifically for Lidl. I have seen some example pic on the Net and it gets good reviews. Tescos will do Dev only for .99p overnight....and will print digi prints for 5p a go (>150). so for a 36 exp colour film 50p+99p+180p = £3.29 for film, dev & 36 prints!!! not that anyone uses film any more :smile: all the more for me :wink:

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get a similar deal on Kodak VR 200 and 400 at Aldi.

3. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any good? do you print or scan?

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I give my rolls to a lab and they make the prints. I don't scan, I don't see the point as the computer is not my primary way of viewing my photographs.

5. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    how do you find the quality of these "cheap consumer" films???

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Terrible! :D :wink:

Attached Files:

7. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmmm yes, definitely sub-par..... :wink: and to think I spent a fiver on ten rolls, silly me.....

8. Antonov

Antonov Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Charlie-J

Charlie-J Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Calumet are selling agfa vista 100 24 exp for 65p a roll. I use my local Asda for Dev only for £1 I did not know that tesco did the same my local tesco (Boston) sends the films away and you get them back in two days. They do a really good job. Jessops charge round about £7 for dev only 1hr processing, but you do get a free film.

Charlie

10. alex66

alex66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those scans look awfull :surprised: I think ill have to avoid my local lidl :rolleyes: on thursday when I get paid:rolleyes: and definatly not send any away to be deved:tongue: I better not post any of the sub par pictures I wont get as I better not go near there in the first place:mad:

11. Antonov

Antonov Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You mean my scans?
    Why?I really like them, they give me that special look.But that is after all very subjective feeling. :wink:

12. alex66

alex66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry I was trying to be funny I liked the scans now I meant to ask about the 99p processing from the big T do they do just develop?

13. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I enjoyed your photographs Antonov. You are lucky to be able to take them. It is not possible to wander round a train yard in Britain with a camera unless you get special permission.

14. Antonov

Antonov Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's OK. :wink: No problem if you don't like them, he he, can't all people love your photos.:D

Thanks Andy!As I said there, I tried to give that "abandoned station" look.Big train station, with very few trains.Reality is much different, there are lot of trains, but I like to take pictures when is this like, nobody out there, very sunny, etc.
    I'm railway enthusiast, I have biggest railway portal in southeastern Europe with big forum, and there are lot's of photographers here, but just two of us with film.Photographing here also can be problem, if you don't have permission, but not like in UK, I mean, here depends from station to station, in some no one will ask you anything, but in some, they bother you that you must have license.

15. Charlie-J

Charlie-J Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I have just enquired at my local Tesco about develop only.
    My local Tesco has to send there films away to a Kodak lab. They were not sure about develop only because there was no box to tick on envelope. They did say that develop only would be available in there stores with photo processing in store.
    I can get an 1 hour develop only service at my local ASDA.
    I will tell my sister in Brighton about the deal on Fuji 200 for 99p for 2X135x36.
    Andy. K thanks for the post about the Kodak VR film I just got a shopping bag full. :smile: Its long dated to 07/08

16. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

OK lets do the maths . Good quality 35mm SLR without bells and whistles approx £30 with lens on auction site. Reasonable quality 'low' spec digi SLR (i.e it makes the tea but does not add the milk :smile:) £400 with lens. Saving on gear = £370 . Depreciation over 5 years for film camera - £0 , Digi cam = £350 - let's be generous.

For an amateur shooting a roll a month over 5 years photos cost £3.29 x60 = £197.40. Add scanner to allow storage and distribution on the web/phone.pda/internet enabled freezer (they exist apparently) at £80. Total 5 year outlay for film user = just shy of £280. Future costs are purely for film , d and p i.e £40 approx p.a
    Digi user has to repeat the process every 5 years , even if prints are 'free' the digi user is down on the deal by £70 in the first 5 years and £150 every other 5 years.

Now I see those economies they talk about when justifying the use of digital :D .

17. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thats not adding in the post processing time you have to do, admittedly you can play about with scans but RAW files HAVE to have an element of Photoshopping. What about reliability, I hear lots of stories about dusty sensors, dead batteries, dead sensors etc....I managed to drop my MTL5 on top of Ben Nevis & dented the prism holder bit on the top plate, still works perfectly....how many DSLRs could you do that to....

18. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I had an MTL3 years ago, the 5 must be a bit flimsy, the 3 would have dented Nevis :D (Sorry off topic)

19. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have the 3 too, I must admit there was a large crack down the north face of Nevis that wasn't there on the way up.

20. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See my thread in this forum about Calumet selling Kodak Portra 160NC packs of 5 35mm - for £6.50 (inc. vat)

Matt

21. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also get 5-packs of Fuji Superia (400) for £4.65 at 7Day Shop.

22. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I walked out of work today with a four pack of fuji 200 for $1.62, for you brits, If I'm doing my math right, that's less than a pound.

23. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, about 80-90pence....good deal, half the price of ours.

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few months back I cleared a CVS pharmacy of all of its 135 UC 400 for $2.00US a roll. I wanted to keep it from the hoarders! :rolleyes:

The I brought out the Samys Camera stock of 120 UC 400. Again I wanted to keep it from the hoarders! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve

25. sausage100uk

sausage100uk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I took delivery of an out of date press pack of Superia 100 this morning that is now nestled among the food in the freezer......