Colour of Citrin stop bath?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Arctic amateur, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Arctic amateur

Arctic amateur Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a soft-pack of Citrin stop bath from Macodirect (http://www.macodirect.de/citrin-citrostopbr330ml-softpack-p-2196.html). According to the label it has an indicator, but which colours it will change from and to was not specified. When I first mixed it it had a clear purple colour. After a three rolls and a week in a plastic bottled-water bottle it has paled noticeably. Surely three rolls can't deplete 1,5 liters of stop bath? The bathroom floor is not particularly warm, a tray of water stored next to the chem bottles with a thermometer in it showed 20-22 C all week.

Is the stop bath bad? Is this colour change normal even if not depleted, or does stop bath go bad in a week even if barely used?

2. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you get 1 kg of citric acid you'll spend about 10€ and you'll have a lifetime long supply of stop bath. Used one-shot.
    I'd use one-shot also the Citrin.

3. Arctic amateur

Arctic amateur Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The stop bath has gone completely transparent, but pH strips say it's more acidic than the fixer, so I'm going to guess it's still good.

4. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suspect a manufacturing fault. Most indicator stops turn purple when exhausted.

5. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Use plain citric acid at 15g/l one shot. Buy it at your local pharmacy.