combining camera ttl flash with Metz 45ct flash

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Hansraj Vyas, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Hansraj Vyas

Hansraj Vyas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is it possible to combine camera's ttl flash with Metz 45ct flash through a slave unit attached to Metz and take a properly exposed flash photograph-Metz as main flash and camera's ttl flash as fill ? How to set Metz dial ?

2. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should be able to accomplish what you want, but it may take some experimentation, as the TTL circuit for the built-in flash (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to) might get confused. I'd set the Metz (as the "main" light) on full-power manual, and then meter that alone to establish the exposure (mainly the f-stop). Then, depending on what control you have on the built-in TTL flash, I'd dial that down at least a full stop, perhaps more depending on what you want, lighting-wise.

Remember, though, that the built-in flash will be a rather small, point light source, so it likely won't do well as a fill for large areas. It's probably OK for eye-socket and under-chin fill, however.

3. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Ikelite Lite-Link units. As an auto alternative to the metering method, are they what you are looking for?

Best,
    Helen

4. Hansraj Vyas

Hansraj Vyas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I will experiment as suggested by you. I have Pentax-Z1p . It has exposure compensation from-3EV to +1EV in o.3EV step. Actually I intend to use the built-in flash merely to trigger Metz. I think I have to cover this built-in flash in such a manner that it does not interfere with the main flash though it would be activating the main flash via slave. For fill light I might use reflectors or another weak manual flash with one more slave. I would appreciate your comments. Regards, Hansraj.

5. Hansraj Vyas

Hansraj Vyas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    combining ttl flash with Metz

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will experiment as suggested by you. I have Pentax-Z1p with flash exposure compensation from -3EV to +1EV in 0.3EV step. You are right, the built-in flash is useful as fill for small areas only. I am thinking of using another weak manual flash, again with a slave, as fill. The built-in flash is mainly to trigger Metz and another fill flash, if used, and hence I think I have to cover it in such a manner that it does not interfere with main/fill lights but continue to trigger them via slaves. I would appreciate your comments. Regards, Hansraj.

6. Hansraj Vyas

Hansraj Vyas Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks, for your reply. You will observe from my reply to Mr.Barker that it was compatibility of flashes that I wanted to know and not the Lite-Link. R

7. Hansraj Vyas

Hansraj Vyas Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks, for your reply. You will observe from my reply to Mr.Barker that it was compatibility of flashes that I wanted to know and not the Lite-Link. Regards, Hansraj.

8. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought that you wanted the output of the remote Metz to be regulated by the TTL flash meter.

Best,
    Helen