Coming back to film after 12 years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Lightcraftsman, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been a professional photographer off and on since 1985, starting at a small-town newspaper in Texas. While working at Apple Computer in 1995 I moved to California and spent a lot of time at landscape photography, then became a full-time motorsports photographer in 2001 after the tech bubble burst. I sold my Hasselblad 501CM to buy a lens for my Canon EOS D30. Hey, it was a business decision, and I've always missed that Hasselblad. I was also a staff photographer at the Kerrville Folk Festival, using a Canon FD system. I had a darkroom in my house and made decent money processing and printing other people's B&W film. While living in California I had a part-time pro B&W darkroom in the back of a one-hour photo lab. I figure I've developed about 10,000 rolls of film over the years and made about 30,000 prints.

Two weeks ago I bought a mint 1999 501CM just like the one I used to own, then sold my EOS 60D cameras and lenses for about three times what the Hasselblad cost. I'm going to shoot mostly B&W and process the film at home, scan it for proofs and send the best stuff out for drum scans. My motivation for selling the EOS gear was chiefly being tired of hauling all that heavy gear around. My wife bought me a Sony RX-100 for Christmas, and after taking it to Big Bend NP and seeing the results I decided it did everything I needed to do with my EOS gear. I was also working on some drum scans from West Coast Imaging and comparing the scans from my previous 501CM with the results from my digital gear I decided I needed another Hasselblad for my landscape work.

Googles searches led to me here, and this seems like a good place for a recovering digital junkie. After using the 501CM I feel at home again.

2. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well certainly...and welcome to Apug from Australia. I was also a working photographer but retired just before digital took hold. I do have a D200, but rarely use it, preferring film every time, and I mostly do B&W.
    I also have a Hasselblad system, a hang over from my wedding days, and fortunately never sold it...they are excellent picture takers. Look forward to seeing some of your images.

3. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to the darkside!

4. abeku

abeku Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome! Yes, this is a great place to recover. Everything doesn't have to be instagram these days...

5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and Welcome to APUG.

6. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome back. I have never actually been away but film is my main photographic medium now. At least it doesn't need a costly update every year or so.

7. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Florida. Many of us have made that journey.
    juan

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG! :D

10. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice Intro! Welcome to APUG!

11. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

12. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, from just down the road....!

13. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... And from just down another road. :wink:

14. Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. I'll definitely post some images soon. I've spent a lot of time the past two weeks remaking my drum scans using some of the techniques and software I've acquired in the digital realm. I forgot to mention I'm a non-traditional college student studying Environmental Policy & Communications. I plan to graduate in December and hope to get back into photography full-time.

15. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome! Indeed a very good intro! Good luck with your school as well!

16. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lord bless you, LightCraftsman guy. You have made the right decision. If you're like me, this return to your roots has been gnawing at you for a while? I came back several years ago (both film and vinyl) and I'll never return to the ones and zeros.

17. Lightcraftsman

Lightcraftsman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, this has been gnawing at me for a while. Digital was great for motorsports photography and shooting music festivals, but the fine detail just isn't there for landscape photography, at least not with anything I can afford. The idea behind being a pro photography is making money at this craft, and digging myself into a $30,000 hole to sell landscape photos makes no sense. I always missed my Hasselblad*. I love the simplicity of using it, and how it makes me slow down and think about composition and light. I also like having a high-quality lightweight system that does not need batteries.

I'm taking a course this semester taught at Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve in Austin. We'll be in the field researching how deer are impacting the preserve, so I'll have a lot of time to take photos while I'm working on the class. We have to make a poster at the end of the semester, and I want to have two or three killer photos for that. Might even pop for drum scans to get the best quality.

Film is not as convenient as digital, but when I got a 16x20 print made from a slide I shot of my father fishing behind his cabin in Montana in 1999 I knew I made the right choice selling the EOS gear and going back to film. I have a Sony RX-100 that is plenty good for my other needs. I shot a press conference for Environment Texas today, and even at ISO 1600 that little Sony did an excellent job: better than my old Canon 40D at that ISO. It's an impressive pocket camera.

*My wife is happy that I am no longer whining about missing the Hasselblad.

Attached Files:

18. marenmcgowan

marenmcgowan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome and congratulations! I only shoot film and I love my Hasselblad!! I have other cameras/formats too, but my Hasselblad is like the golden child...

19. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to film, and welcome to APUG.