Coming out of the lurking closet

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by KenS, Jan 22, 2005.

1. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All Hail,

I recently re-found APUG after “losing” it just after a house move just over a year ago, and a return to rather slow dial-up on a borrowed computer. This past year has been the first in many that I have not had access to my own darkroom at home… but plans and negotiations with She Who Must Be Obeyed for about a quarter of the basement area are now afoot!

I am semi-retired, living in LA (Lethbridge, Alberta that is), after some 30 years as a technical/scientific and biological photographer in the employ of the Government of Canada. I am working slowly towards an Art degree, on a part-time basis, to help prevent mental and physical stagnation. I plan on submitting a significant portion of my studio coursework either in non-silver photographic processes, or as contact prints on FB silver gelatin.

I use 35mm (now and again) 120 with an RB67, 4x5 with Linhof Bi-Kardan, 8x10 with a re-furbished Burke and James. Instant gratification is now achieved with [insert loud GASP here]… a Nikon Coolpix 990.

Ken

2. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Ken. Welcome to APUG.

3. mark

mark Member

Welcome.

There is a support group that will get you over this digital mistake. I hear the withdrawls are rough but in the end you will feel much better being rid of this pixel albatross. :smile:

4. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome (back) Ken!
    Remember, you only have control over today. (Where was that thing about "chimping"???) Film is good....film is good! :wink:

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I confess to owning a digitoy - a Coolpix 880. But for "instant gratification", I have a polaroid holder for my 4x5"!

I once for a bet set up my 4x5" (Linhof Color), pola holder, made a shot out the window on Type 55, cleaned and dried the neg, printed a cyanotype, and had it washed, dried, scanned and posted all in less than 20 minutes. The "other party" was still tweaking the curves on the raw file from his super-duper digi-SLR :D

6. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome (back), Ken. I'd bet that quite a few folks here have one or more of those (unmentionable) cameras. For real instant gratification, there's nothing quite like an 8x10 Polaroid, though. :wink:

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome - back - Ken. Instant gratification is enjoying the whole process of photography, not just the final image. But I am sure that you already know that, ortherwise you wouldn't be here.
    Looking forward to viewing some of that work you plan on submitting.

gene