Commercial Development of LF sheet film

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by laz, Oct 6, 2005.

1. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, how does one bring LF sheet film to a commercial lab to be processed, in your holders?

-B

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can, but you usually end up paying a fee, like $1/sheet, to have them "download" the holders. On the other hand, you'll have the pleasure of using the term "download" in a strictly analog context.

Normally you would bring the sheets in a spare three-part film box, clearly labeled with the type of film and number of sheets and closed with two rubber bands (easier for them to deal with than tape). I've used other forms of packaging, like opaque plastic bags inside envelopes, but I found the lab was more likely to mess up, if they got something non-standard.

Of course for Quickload/Readyload, just bring the packets.

3. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    You can take them there in the holders and maybe explain that you don't have any spare boxes to bring them the film in in the first place. I've never paid any fees for them having to take sheets out of my holders. Just make sure you get your holders back when they are finished with the processing.

4. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, now what are readyloads, do they work in all LF? (yup a real newbie question, sorry too lazy right now to search the archives)
    -Bob

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. Troy Ammons

Troy Ammons Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lab I used before I started processing my own, preferred them in a box. They would take a few in holders, and Quicklods were fine just in the sleeves.

7. Ben Diss

Ben Diss Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Laz- Readyloads (Kodak) and Quickloads (Fuji) up through 4x5, not for 8x10.

8. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Laz127,

Assuming you've got enough "dark" to load your holders, why not get a Unicolor processor of eBAy? For $30-50 you can soup it yourself since you're "focused primarily on the mechanics of the medium"? As an alternative, if you're shooting 4x5 you can use Polaroid Type 55 P/N in a 545i back(holder, really)

Quick loads and readyloads are films packaged in cardboard sleeves (sort of like Polaroids) that permit inserting the film directly into a special holder (again like the Polaroid) then removing them in the sleeve after exposure but for conventional development later on (unlike the Polaroid)

9. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I do my own B&W but, still take the E6 to a lab. Like others, I simply unload the film into an extra film box. Seems to work fine but, have learned to ask for the box to be returned else...ya don't always get it back.

10. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay doaky, that does it for me, nothing to worry about 'cause I can't use 'em with my 8x10!

I'll have to buy a bigger changing bag or more holders. While on the subject, what is the deal with 8x10 holders going for more than the camera?

Supply and demand I guess, but still......

Thanks all!

11. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Laz.
    I have an 8x10 changing tent.... the one made by photoflex http://www.adorama.com/PFCR.html thats a link to what it looks like.
    it folds up to sorta be like those windshield sunshades. Works great. I just no longer need it because I bought a bigger changing tent for the 717 holder so dont need the 8x10.
    PM me if yer interested.

12. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

For holders I'm partial to the black wooden ones made by Graflex for Eastman Kodak. Get 'em on eBay or from Midwest Photo or Brooklyn camera exchange. Cannibalize the leakers for parts(or if you bought them from a dealer, send the leakers back for other holders)

Cheers!

13. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tried to PM you but I'm afraid you've "exceeded your limit" of message space....Bad bad boy you! (Yup, interested. You can PM me :D)

-Bob