COMPACT flash for Nikon FM

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Silverpixels5, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm giving my old Nikon FM to my girlfriend, but would like for her to have a flash to go along with it. I have a Vivitar 285, which is fine for me, but I think its just a bit too large for her to want to carry around. So while power and reliability are of course desired, I really need for it to be somewhat smaller than what I currently have. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Nikon SB-15 would be my recommendation. Small, easy to use, and it gets the flash up to the side so red-eye problems are reduced.

I've had one since new (20+ years) without a complaint.

3. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Vivitar 273 is smaller than the Viv 283 and 285, and packs just about as much punch (guide # 100). And even smaller is the Viv 252, with a guide # of 60. Either one should be quite easy and cheap to acquire used.

Kiron Kid

4. michaellynn9

michaellynn9 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use an Sb22s along with my FM3a, fits the bill if you are looking for something small and fairly powerful. It also gives you a distance scale on the back which is useful for the FM with no ttl.