Compact Point and Shoot Camera advice..

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Felinik, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for a P&S, compact, as a supplementary camera for color film.

Features:

Manual ISO setting
    Aperture Priority
    ~35-70mm zoom / ~45 .. 55mm fixed, and at least f/3.x
    HQ optics and useful viewfinder
    Manual Focus preferred, but not crucial
    Slim (preferably with pancake or retractable lens)
    Price, preferably not more than ~$100

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

/J.F. Felinik

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
  2. sr44

sr44 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An Olympus XA checks all the boxes if you can live with a 35mm fixed lens instead of a zoom.

3. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like a nice little shooter, I would really like something less wide than 35 if a fixed lens, though the XA seems indeed to be a truly interesting gem!

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Newer P&S do have zoom but so far I have found them only have programmed automatic exposure control and not aperture priority type. So many of them would check all boxes except that aperture priority one and no manual focus either.

5. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Fuji Klasses [or Rollei AFM] have aperture priority, as do the Contax T2 and T3, Nikon 35Ti, and I think the various Ricoh R/GRs. Almost all of them wider angled than you are looking for. The Klasse S or Rollei AFM has a 38mm lens. All of them are going to cost more than your $100. Higher end film compacts still sell for more like 3 - 5 times that. Also, given your description -- manual focus, manual or aperture priority exposure, manual film speed, etc -- you don't sound like you want a P&S. You want a small all-manual camera.

6. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I want a pocket camera, small enough to actually fit the pocket, to always carry with me as a color camera (I shoot b&w mostly, using my Pentax SLR system)..

:smile:

7. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think you'll get the combination you are looking for: size, manual control, focal length. If the camera is under $100, it will probably have no manual control at all, and probably have a wider lens [e.g. the XA]. If it is under $100, and has the level of manual control you want, e.g. some of the 70s rangefinders, or similar, it'll not fit the pocket. Almost all of the higher end point and shoots that have all of these features will fit in a jacket pocket, but not a trouser pocket, and they'll cost a lot more.

I've been through a similar quest myself, so I'm not being dismissive. It tends to be: small, manual control, cheap. Pick two of three. If you add in the focal length requirement, pick two of four.

8. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Although it probably runs somewhere close to $300 a Contax TVS 28-56mm + panoramic can be used program mode or aperture manual and auto focus or manual focus. A titanium body and Ziess lens. Pocket size.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

9. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A 70's rangefinder that will fit the pocket is a Konica C35 (and it's many other variations). Give it a look, I love mine (a Chinon 35ee, essentially the same camera).

10. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting indeed, and the price is totally right!! How do you experience the optics on those babies?

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Olympus XA.
    No zoom. Don't need one. Ever. :smile:

12. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm more or less convinced about the Konica ... and it looks sweet too!

13. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

You will be surprised, it is very good! I like the contrast, and sharpness is just right. I have not yet processed the color shots, but I believe they will turn out well too. Here is a picture taken with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashramranie/7841416372/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashramranie/7841416260/in/photostream

The metering works surprisingly well too.

14. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Under $100? Zoom? Pocketable? I'm at a loss....

15. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You're trying to buy champagne on a beer budget.

There are few pocketable advanced P&S cameras with zooms and aperture-priority autoexposure. Actually, I would say none.

If you forego the aperture-priority autoexposure, you ought to check out the Olympus Epic Stylus Zoom (the black model), which had a 35-70 lens. Also, the Rollei Prego 70 has a 35-70 lens.

Among fixed-lens cameras, there are a bunch from the 1970s. I like the Olympus 35 RC, which has shutter-priority autoexposure or all-manual exposure.

If you can adapt to its quirks, the Rollei 35 cameras are excellent choices, although you probably will NOT find one for less than $100.

16. nexus757

nexus757 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With lomography and Fukkatsu now selling new pocket film again, if you want something really small maybe you should get a 110 camera. Many were quite sophisticated. Fujica and Minolta both made them with zoom lenses and many others including Kodak, Canon and Vivitar models incorporated a switchable normal/zoom lens. But the Cadillac was really the Pentax auto 110 which was like a tiny SLR with interchangable lenses. Lots of good info here: http://subclub.org/shop/110.htm

17. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's a bit of a tall order! I'll respond as I've done to at least two similar threads in the past (and indeed as someone has already done here). Check out the Olympus 35RC. Manual focus. Manual ISO setting. Good metering. Works even if the batteries die. Excellent lens. It's not a zoom, though.

On a slightly different off-topic note, beware of some P & S cameras, as they are starting to show their age. Neither of my two Konica Zoom 70Ws will turn on any more, the Pentax Espio (metal clam shell version) leaks light around the extending lens sections, the Yashica wouldn't turn on and the Olympus mjuII would be wonderful if it didn't leak light in the back where the seal goes around the viewfinder. I'm tending to think that all of this generation and market level of P & S cameras, some of which weren't cheap when sold, are now pretty much at their sell-by date. Something older, albeit with fewer features, is more likely to be working or at least repairable (e.g. the 35RC, Rollei, etc.)

Two weeks ago I went to a motoring event where photography isn't the main reason for going but I've previously gone with a P & S that has a 28mm wide zoom (the Konica, Pentax or Yashica have/had this). With those all dud, I opted for the Pentax MV with the 28mm M series wide. Though not as small or as light as a P & S, it served my needs very well.

Steve

18. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 for 35RC. And also it shows f stop and shutter speed in viewfinder. Mine 35RC has lens in bad shape, but produces nice quality images anyhow :smile:

19. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does the 35RC provide Aperture Priority too?

20. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shutter priority only.

21. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thats a real pity, how does it work in "all manual" with the metering?

22. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a bit of a fudge but works well: in auto mode, select shutter speed and press the shutter button half way to see where the aperture indicator stops. It's then a simple matter to manual and re-calculate for different shutter speed/aperture combinations. However, I've found the auto to be generally pretty good and of course if you need to open up or stop down you can always tweak the ASA setting (as long as you remember to put it back again!)
    Steve

23. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hmm, sounds like the Konica c35 is the one to go with here then, unless I manage to find a cpl of hundreds more and look into the Contax or Fuji machines...